WAMC 3.87c, 3.96s, 520, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braintumor6894

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a reapplicant this year and was wondering what you thought my chances are for this cycle? For background, I didn't receive a single interview last cycle :(

3.87 cGPA, 3.96 sGPA

520 MCAT (130,127,132,131) in 2022; 508 MCAT (130,125,128,125) in 2021

Maryland Resident

White Cis-Male

Assumption University Graduate, B.A. in Neuroscience

Clinic Experience (not a ton, but only had the shock trauma stuff last cycle)
- Volunteered at University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) in the Schock Trauma OR (80 hours)
- Patient Care Tech (Paid) at UMass Memorial (250 hours)
- Just started a Medical Assistant job at primary care office

Research Experience:
-NSIP Internship at University of Maryland School of Medicine for two summers (2020, 2021) for a total of 800 hours
- 1 publication as second author, and one on the way

Shadowing:
-Pediatric Neurosurgeon at Boston Children's (30 Hours)
-Neurosurgeon at UMMC (6 hours), this one isn't listed on primary app tho so it doesnt really matter
-I have lined up shadowing with Neonatal Transport Team at UMMC for this summer (this is stated on my apps)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-I have over 1000 hours of community service in total, from all sorts of things
-Toby's Toy Drive (600 hours): I created my own non-profit organization at the age of 11 that collects toy donations during christmas season to benefit families in need, and more recently have donated them to pediatric cancer patients

I was a football player in college and an RA

Awards:
-Assumption's Scholar Athlete of the Year: This is awarded to the premier senior student-athlete of the academic year, combining both athletic achievement and academic success.
-Departmental Award: Selected as the top student in my program of study by the faculty from the Department of Biological and Physical Sciences.
-Emmanuel d’Alzon Crown and Shield Award: Awarded to the student who has distinguished themself in the areas of leadership and community service to Assumption.
-First Team All-Conference for football
-2x Academic All-Conference for football
-Graduated Magna Cum Laude

School List (13):
Maryland, Hopkins, George Washington, Georgetown, Howard, Drexel, Penn State, UNC, Wake Forest, MUSC, Medical College of Georgia (Augusta), Morehouse, TCU

I know I lack a lot of clinical experience, but I hope it's enough. I had multiple clinical experiences cancelled or postponed cause of covid which I talked about in my secondaries. I improved my bad MCAT score from last cycle and added more clinical experience (I only had the shock trauma volunteering, no shadowing or other stuff). What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Howard and Morehouse admit mainly applicants from the African American community. MUSC, UNC and Georgia admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Rochester
Vermont
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Tulane
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, your app sounds great to me, really cool stuff about the toy drive! I think your MCAT improving a lot will help too.

Maybe your shadowing and clinical experience were low last cycle but now it looks like you've demonstrated you know what you're getting into with your app. The only thing I'd say is perhaps casting a wider net with your school list and go for 20 schools. I'm not near applying yet though, so maybe someone else has some constructive criticism. Good luck with the cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Howard and Morehouse admit mainly applicants from the African American community. MUSC, UNC and Georgia admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Maryland
Georgetown
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Rochester
Vermont
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Tulane
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Do you think I will get interviews from schools like Maryland, GW, and Georgetown? Those are my top three, and all three of those applications are complete.

Honestly, your app sounds great to me, really cool stuff about the toy drive! I think your MCAT improving a lot will help too.

Maybe your shadowing and clinical experience were low last cycle but now it looks like you've demonstrated you know what you're getting into with your app. The only thing I'd say is perhaps casting a wider net with your school list and go for 20 schools. I'm not near applying yet though, so maybe someone else has some constructive criticism. Good luck with the cycle!
Thank you! I’m really nervous about it because of not getting any II’s last cycle. I’m really hoping me showing improvement is a big deal. I’ve been thinking about expanding my list but I’m not sure if I will. If I get into Maryland all the other schools are pointless to me

Do you think I will get interviews from schools like Maryland, GW, and Georgetown? Those are my top three, and all three of those applications are complete.
Your stats and ECs are competitive for those schools. Interview invites are unpredictable.

Reactions: 1 users
What feedback did you get from your prehealth advisors? 520 should get you more attention. What was the difference in your MCAT prep (don't you have a Kaplan course at your university)?
My pre-health advisor isn’t really helpful so no advice lmao. I studied for two weeks (maybe?) the first time, the second time I studied for 2-3 months and took a prep course. I also used Anki this time around which I didn’t last time