WAMC 3.8cGPA 3.7sGPA 519 MCAT lowish clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway223

Reaction score
Please don't quote ty!

As title says im concerned about the amount of clinical hrs i have going into this cycle, considering waiting another year before applying to boost them but feel nervous about doing so.
this might be a little late into the game but would appreciate some advice nonetheless

Some stats:
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 519 (132/128/129/130)

State of Residence: NY
Ethnicity: ORM
Undergrad: University in western PA, majoring in bio and music minor, graduated this year and taking this year to apply

Clinical experience:
Part i'm most concerned about, considering i haven't been able to get too much patient interaction since covid
  • Volunteering:
    • 100ish hrs at local hospital as a COVID screener and a greeter, wasn't allowed to see patients at first but planning on continuing into this year and they've since said they're gonna allow patient contact soon, iffy on whether or not this will count as clinical
  • Nonvolunteering:
    • starting a research tech job working at the local children's hospital, ive been told that has a lot of opportunities for patient contact
Shadowing
  • 10 hours shadowing pulmonary clinician + ICU rounds, 45 hrs heme-onc outpatient clinic
  • hopefully planning on doing more shadowing since opportunities got cut before i got a chance to add more

Research experience:
prefacing this section by saying i was pretty adamant on starting research asap as a freshman, thought i would go into something research related but decided that it wasn't for me as a career but stuck with it to see if i could get a pub/presentation and cuz it was still interesting material, but covid happened so ig that fell through
  • 600 hours in a basic science lab working with yeast and ribosomes, PI had me bouncing between projects for a while and helping out a PhD student for the first year and a half, was about to start work on a project investigating specific proteins involved in ribosome assembly that induce apoptosis via p53 when mutated but got cut short because of covid

Nonclinical Volunteering
  • 40 hours Crisis Text Line Counselor, currently ongoing
  • 200+ hrs working with my university's first year orientation program for 3 summers in undergrad leading a team of counselors to help run orientation

EC's/Leadership
  • TA for freshman biology lab during my senior year (~160 hrs)
  • Board member of my university's Society for Asian Scientists and Engineers for 7 semesters, various positions including marketing and fundraising positions (~250 hrs)
  • Co-editor in chief of university's Asian culture literary magazine (~90 hrs)

Relevant Honors/Awards
  • Dean's list for most semesters except spring freshmen sem and sophmore fall
  • member of my university's premed society
  • University senior leadership award recipient
  • Will be graduating with university honors
Hobbies
  • Music minor + playing in various ensembles (1000+ hrs from practicing almost every day+rehearsals/concerts)

School list so far:
University of Pennsylvania
Columbia
UCSF
Duke
University of Chicago
UCLA Geffen
Case Western
Northwestern
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
NYU
Mayo
Emory
Vanderbilt
Rochester
Hofstra
Boston University
Einstein
Cincinnati
All SUNY's
Albany Medical College
University of Maryland
Kaiser
UVA

Definitely top heavy and considering cutting some and adding more mid tiers probably?
Appreciate any and all advice

Members don't see this ad.

Your list is top heavy considering your low clinical volunteering and non clinical volunteering hours. Your best chances are the SUNYs. You could add any of these schools:
Western Michigan
New York Medical College
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington