WAMC 3.9 GPA 502 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conflicted0892

Reaction score
Hi! I am posting for an app review and a WAMC! I am looking for feedback regarding my application as well as help building a school list!
1. cGPA is 3.94 and sGPA is 3.90
2. 502 (125/126/123/128)
  1. unsure if i should retake, strongly considering it
3. TX
4. Hispanic, female
5. Public Texas university
6. Clinical experience
  1. Free clinic (volunteer, triaged patients, translator, 42 hrs)
  2. Free clinic (volunteer, gave nutrition education to Spanish speaking patients, 288 hrs)
  3. Clinical research coordinator (paid, NIH, big name PI, works with vulnerable populations, 3,290 hrs)
7. Research experience and productivity
  1. Undergrad research assistant (3,000 hrs, two labs, summers included for 2 yrs, 8 posters at national conferences, 1 second-author publication)
  2. Post bac (3 publications, 1 first co-author)
8. Shadowing experience
  1. Geneticist, 25 hrs
  2. Neurology, 8 hrs
  3. Plan to get more
9. Non-clinical volunteering
  1. Hospice (75 hrs)
  2. Education outreach programs (20hrs)
10. Other extracurriculars
  1. President of a pre-health organization
  2. Tutor for college chemistry (180hrs)
11. Relevant honors and awards
  1. Three grants for research (NIH, NSF)
  2. Research award given to one graduating undergrad student in department
  3. Award for abstract from conference
12. Anything else thats important
  1. Passionate about serving Hispanic/underserved populations
13. LORS
  1. very strong letters from PI's, 1 being an MD
Current school list:
Dream is to stay in Texas, so I will apply to all Texas schools but these are my top schools.

TTUHSC El Paso
TTUHSC Lubbock
UTRGV
UTMB
TA&M

Thank you for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews. You could try these OOS MD schools:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Creighton
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
OOS MD schools may not interview you if they believe you will stay in Texas.
A retake of the MCAT will help if you score 507+ but do not retake unless your practice scores are consistently 507+

How is your Casper/PREview score?

You may have to break up your CRC experience between bona fide clinical experience and research management tasks. How much of this time were you working with "patients" as opposed to "research subjects"? We can discuss what the difference is if you don't know.

Keep going with non-clinical volunteering. Strive for at least 150 hours of total experience.

Network with LMSA chapters at the schools on your wishlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews. You could try these OOS MD schools:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Creighton
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
OOS MD schools may not interview you if they believe you will stay in Texas.
A retake of the MCAT will help if you score 507+ but do not retake unless your practice scores are consistently 507+
Thank you!

How is your Casper/PREview score?

You may have to break up your CRC experience between bona fide clinical experience and research management tasks. How much of this time were you working with "patients" as opposed to "research subjects"? We can discuss what the difference is if you don't know.

Keep going with non-clinical volunteering. Strive for at least 150 hours of total experience.

Network with LMSA chapters at the schools on your wishlist.
I have not taken Casper yet. I will take it in May. I spend almost all of my time with patients. I have only seen two healthy controls in the two years I've been here. My primary job is communicating with patients and working in a clinic setting. I hadn't thought of networking with LMSA chapters. Thank you!!