WAMC 3.91 cGPA, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreddy04

Reaction score
  1. 3.91 cGPA 3.90 sGPA
  2. 508 127/123/130/128
  3. CA Resident
  4. White
  5. BYU
  6. 1200 ER Tech, 700 volunteer at university EMS agency
  7. 800 hrs research over two years. Two poster presentations and will submit manuscript for publication soon.
  8. 50 hours shadowing through various specialities including primary care.
  9. 120 hours volunteering at food bank. 2 years in Russia for church service mission (I estimated the hours to be 1400 for direct service activities)
  10. ER tech team lead at ER Tech job and EMS supervisor at my EMS volunteer gig. TA for one year (140 hours) ocean lifeguard for 7 years (counting 800 hours), drumming and surfing are hobbies.
I need help with a school list! I was planning on my MCAT being a lot higher 515-517 as this was my FL avg, but that’s not the case and I am dreading to retake the MCAT. What would be a good MD and DO list. I only have one school so far on my verified AMCAS appplication. Should I just retake the MCAT and apply next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

120 hours volunteering at food bank. 2 years in Russia for church service mission (I estimated the hours to be 1400 for direct service activities)
This does not count as service/volunteering. I would advise putting it down as other for the AMCAS category. Loma Linda is probably the only school that will put much stock into a religious mission.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't asked them yet.
Let us know what their opinion is. BYU has one of the most thorough prehealth advising offices out there. It would be a shame if you haven't leveraged this resource before applying, considering how many dozens/hundreds of BYU students apply to health professional programs.

Let us know what their opinion is. BYU has one of the most thorough prehealth advising offices out there. It would be a shame if you haven't leveraged this resource before applying, considering how many dozens/hundreds of BYU students apply to health professional programs.
I talked with my advisor yesterday. He said to apply and see what happens. He said maybe I could get an MD acceptance, but more likely DO. While my mission has a good portion of hours, I do have 120 hours in sustained food bank volunteering starting at the beginning of the pandemic in my local communities in Utah and California. I also have about 700 hours of clinical volunteering with leadership. So, my domestic non-clinical volunteering isn't that great, but maybe I have a shot.

Edit: Grammar

This does not count as service/volunteering. I would advise putting it down as other for the AMCAS category. Loma Linda is probably the only school that will put much stock into a religious mission.
My pre-med advisors at BYU tell everyone to put an LDS mission as non-clinical community service. Some students put their hours at zero, but my advisors told me specifically to estimate my community service as it was a service mission and a non-proselytizing mission. This is just the reason why I put that as non-clinical community service.

Reactions: 2 users
My pre-med advisors at BYU tell everyone to put an LDS mission as non-clinical community service. Some students put their hours at zero, but my advisors told me specifically to estimate my community service as it was a service mission and a non-proselytizing mission. This is just the reason why I put that as non-clinical community service.
That was good of the advisors to make the distinction for non-proselytizing missions. I would say you have a good chance of being accepted to a school, it just may be DO. I would strongly suggest Loma Linda as well as the schools on Faha’s list.

For DO, you can try:

PCOM
Western
Touro NV
Touro CA
AZCOM (high tuition though)
Marian
Campbell (Christian background)

Reactions: 1 users
That was good of the advisors to make the distinction for non-proselytizing missions. I would say you have a good chance of being accepted to a school, it just may be DO. I would strongly suggest Loma Linda as well as the schools on Faha’s list.

For DO, you can try:

PCOM
Western
Touro NV
Touro CA
AZCOM (high tuition though)
Marian
Campbell (Christian background)
Thanks so much!