WAMC: 3.92 cGPA, 3.92 sGPA, 29 MCAT, NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorS_

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to see what SDN thinks my chances are:

3.92 cGPA, 3.92 sGPA
First MCAT: 24 (9VR/8PS/7BS)
Second MCAT: 29 (8VR/9PS/12BS)
Thinking of retaking for a third time early in the upcoming application cycle
NJ Resident, Currently a junior at a small NJ state school
Asian male

EC:
  • Five years as part of my town's volunteer ambulance squad; four years as a certified EMT; various leadership positions (over 2000 hours total)
  • First two years of college - coaching a local swim team, children ages 5-17
  • Since August 2013 - patient care technician in an emergency department (at least 12 hours per week), trained in performing EKGs and phlebotomy
  • Since January 2014 - internship at a hospital where I attend grand rounds and round on patients on the Internal Medicine service with an attending, residents, and medical students
  • Working on a "research" project where my group takes MRI/CT data and transform them into 3D images that can be manipulated

Where I'm looking at applying to (subject to change, input on other schools appreciated):
MD
  • Rutgers NJMS (formerly UMDNJ)
  • Rutgers RWJMS (formerly UMDNJ)
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan Univ
  • Hofstra North Shore LIJ
  • NY Medical College
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • Temple
  • University of Pittsburgh (reach)
DO
  • PCOM-PA
  • NYIT COM
  • TouroNY
  • RowanCOM
  • UNECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be good for Rowan, Touro, probably NYCOM and PCOM. The SUNYs may be difficult since you are not from NY, cant comment on the NJ schools though

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of switching Upstate/Downstate with Albany and Buffalo. Also adding Drexel to my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Looking to see what SDN thinks my chances are:

3.92 cGPA, 3.92 sGPA
First MCAT: 24 (9VR/8PS/7BS)
Second MCAT: 29 (8VR/9PS/12BS)
Thinking of retaking for a third time early in the upcoming application cycle
NJ Resident, Currently a junior at a small NJ state school
Asian male

EC:
  • Five years as part of my town's volunteer ambulance squad; four years as a certified EMT; various leadership positions (over 2000 hours total)
  • First two years of college - coaching a local swim team, children ages 5-17
  • Since August 2013 - patient care technician in an emergency department (at least 12 hours per week), trained in performing EKGs and phlebotomy
  • Since January 2014 - internship at a hospital where I attend grand rounds and round on patients on the Internal Medicine service with an attending, residents, and medical students
  • Working on a "research" project where my group takes MRI/CT data and transform them into 3D images that can be manipulated

Where I'm looking at applying to (subject to change, input on other schools appreciated):
MD
  • Rutgers NJMS (formerly UMDNJ)
  • NY Medical College
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • Temple
  • University of Pittsburgh (reach)
DO
  • PCOM-PA
  • NYIT COM
  • TouroNY
  • RowanCOM
  • UNECOM
I think you are a shoo-in for DO, and have a decent shot at low tier MDs. I don't think you should retake if you are willing to expand your MD list a little bit and you are ok with DO.

I think you are a shoo-in for DO, and have a decent shot at low tier MDs. I don't think you should retake if you are willing to expand your MD list a little bit and you are ok with DO.

I am content with DO. What MD schools would you recommend I add to my list?

I suggest :

Rutgers NJMS (formerly UMDNJ)
  • NY Medical College
  • Temple
  • Drexel
  • NYMC
  • Albany
  • Jefferson
  • Penn State
  • TCMC

• LECOM
  • PCOM-PA
  • NYIT COM
  • TouroNY
  • RowanCOM
  • UNECOM
  • VCOM
  • VCOM-SC
  • PCOM-GA
  • KYCOM
  • WVCOM

Anyone have any input on whether or not I should take the MCAT again? I spent about a month prepping for BS before my second time, didn't really spend too much time on VR, and maybe a week on PS. I know, not much time prepping, but prep during the semester wasn't really happening. (took the second time in January just after the spring semester started)

Also, anyone else with suggestions on school list?