MD WAMC 3.93 sGPA/ 525 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appk37

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m applying for this upcoming cycle (2023-2024) and I’m unsure what schools I should be aiming for

cGPA and sGPA: 3.93 for both

MCAT score and breakdown: 525 (131/132/130/132)

Ties: MA/NY

Ethnicity/Race: over represented minority

Undergrad category: T50 private

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
-
CNA in COVID-ICU (900 hours, paid)
-EMT in Major city (1200 hours, paid)
Both were during the height of the pandemic

Volunteering: COVID-testing for EMT company (300 hrs), womens shelter in major city (fundraising and food/goods drive, 30 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering (my weak spot for sure):
Only have crisis communication text line, will have 100-150 hours by the time of application but i definitely need more stuff here

Research:
-Neurology clinical research (2 years full time however many hours that is)- mid author publications and poster

-neuropsychology research in undergrad (3000 hours)- poster presentation and abstract from this

- wet lab cancer research (320 hrs)

Leadership/other stuff:
Started premedical fraternity (phi delta epsilon) at my college

Also started another Greek organization and led philanthropy and new member education

MCAT/ high school tutor

Typical deans list/honors stuff

Pls lmk what schools are realistic to be aiming for/any advice! Thank u:)

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your actual state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours ?
NY, and yes I forgot to include that I have 80 hrs shadowing neurologists and 40 shadowing an oncologist

Members don't see this ad :)
Your women's shelter food drive work can go under non clinical volunteering/community service.

I am missing a sense of "why Medicine". Where did you grow up in New York?

Reactions: 1 user
Your women's shelter food drive work can go under non clinical volunteering/community service.

I am missing a sense of "why Medicine". Where did you grow up in New York?
I grew up in Massachusetts, and moved to New York post undergrad! My why medicine is that my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s when I was in college, and my grandpa passed from the disease as well. This is why I pursued neuroscience research in both undergrad and postgrad, and I plan on specializing in neurology with a focus on treating Alzheimer’s patients and hopefully finding a cure one day

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Tufts
UMass