WAMC- 3rd time applicant; decent GPA; good amount vet experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geanbean

Reaction score
24/ F / CA resident / potentially going into my third application cycle

My goal is to become a mixed large animal practitioner. I grew up on a dairy and fell in love with the vet field and the large animal community early on.

I previously have applied to:
UC Davis, Auburn, Iowa state, Virginia tech, North Carolina state, Michigan state, Cornell, U of A, RVC

I was rejected by all schools my first cycle but I did get two interviews (U of A and RVC). I am very happy to currently be waitlisted at two programs this cycle (Auburn and Iowa) but I wanted to be prepared to apply again in the case I don’t get pull off either waitlist.

Cumulative GPA: 3.727

science GPA: 3.65

last 45: 3.75

Any degrees achieved
Bachelors of Arts in anthropology earned in 2023 (went to a junior college for part of schooling)

Veterinary Experience:—
-Small animal GP -1200 hours

-mixed large animal GP - 5300

-equine ICU - 1700

-equine specific GP- 32

-small animal ophthalmology shadow- 32

Animal Experience:
-sheep ranch- 200 hrs

-dairy- 1200

-horse riding/driving- 3000

-showing market lambs and rabbits -2500

-caring for sick bummer lambs for sheep rancher- 1200

-bird rescue center- 300

-community animal response team -300

-county fair livestock health checks and drug testing -180

Research Experience:
-none

Awards/scholarships:
-chapter scholarship from FFA

-various anthropology scholarships from junior college and one from university

-graduated magna cum laude

Extracurriculars:
-nature photography club member (hobby photography)

-cross country camp counselor for a high school over the summers

-FFA during all fours year of high school

-track and field captain

Employment:
-mixed large animal vet tech/lab manager

-small animal vet tech

-equine icu tech

-food delivery service

Summarize any concerns you have-
I thought I was putting my best foot forward during these last two application cycles but I am a first generation student and I know I need to learn how to find direction in this process. I think I could round out my application with research experience but being graduated, I’m not sure what I can do to get involved in research at this point.
I did an application review (with VMCVM) they told me my GPA, vet experiences, essays, and LORs looked good but that I could do more extracurriculars or none animal employment. My current vet tech job pays very well so it would be hard to go somewhere else for employment at this time but if I absolutely have to, I will.
One area I know I struggle with are interviews, I really get in my head and have a hard time being present and being myself. I’ve worked on this but maybe I need some new ideas? Other than that, I really want to make this happen, if there are schools that I would have a better shot at, maybe I should widen my scope?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m 224/268 on Iowas waitlist. Most of my volunteer hours are mixed in with my vet and animal experiences- bird rescue center, community animal response team, county fair check ins, sheep ranch work, camp counselor, and some mixed in with my FFA work. But I could definitely see an area of improvement by doing more non animal related community service.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I was putting my best foot forward during these last two application cycles but I am a first generation student and I know I need to learn how to find direction in this process. I think I could round out my application with research experience but being graduated, I’m not sure what I can do to get involved in research at this point.
I did an application review (with VMCVM) they told me my GPA, vet experiences, essays, and LORs looked good but that I could do more extracurriculars or none animal employment. My current vet tech job pays very well so it would be hard to go somewhere else for employment at this time but if I absolutely have to, I will.
One area I know I struggle with are interviews, I really get in my head and have a hard time being present and being myself. I’ve worked on this but maybe I need some new ideas? Other than that, I really want to make this happen, if there are schools that I would have a better shot at, maybe I should widen my scope?
If you live near a university or college of some sort, you could likely look up the associated labs with those facilities, then email the PIs out of the blue. Explain you would like to gain research exposure. The worst they'll do is ignore you or say no.

You don't need necessarily non-animal employment, but non-animal exposure. Don't over think this. You could literally go volunteer at your local community museum. Or an old folks home. Or a children's hospital. Or... or... or.... etc. Extracurriculars could be a local book club; I see a bunch of people play pickleball at my local park; etc. etc.

Your stats are overall pretty good, so I was wondering if one of your letters, you essays, or your interview skills were what was hindering you a bit. If you have a trusted mentor, ask them if they can do mock interviews with you to practice.
UC Davis, Auburn, Iowa state, Virginia tech, North Carolina state, Michigan state, Cornell, U of A, RVC
Besides UC Davis, why these schools? While you're pretty average to strong as an applicant, I wonder if you could change/improve your school list this cycle.

If you live near a university or college of some sort, you could likely look up the associated labs with those facilities, then email the PIs out of the blue. Explain you would like to gain research exposure. The worst they'll do is ignore you or say no.

You don't need necessarily non-animal employment, but non-animal exposure. Don't over think this. You could literally go volunteer at your local community museum. Or an old folks home. Or a children's hospital. Or... or... or.... etc. Extracurriculars could be a local book club; I see a bunch of people play pickleball at my local park; etc. etc.

Your stats are overall pretty good, so I was wondering if one of your letters, you essays, or your interview skills were what was hindering you a bit. If you have a trusted mentor, ask them if they can do mock interviews with you to practice.

Besides UC Davis, why these schools? While you're pretty average to strong as an applicant, I wonder if you could change/improve your school list this cycle.
Thank you so much for your reply! And your advice.

I agree, I’m going to do more practice on interviews with a trusted mentor. I’ll also see if they can review my application to make sure I’m on the right track with my essays and other materials.

For my school list, I went by recommendations by people I know like my professors, veterinarians I worked for, and undergrad students I went to school with. I also choose to apply to a few- Auburn, Iowa, and U of A, because I was drawn to the programs from independent research. I applied to VMCVM out of both interest in the program and having family in the area. I think a big part of my issue has been having little direction, which is my fault and something I am making a personal point of solving. I have been doing more research over this last year and I am revising my list. So far, I want to reapply to at least UC Davis and Auburn. I am also interested in LMU, Tuskegee, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Louisiana. I am going to take a look at the where should I apply to forum to get a better idea for what schools would be more fitting too. Do you have any recommendations to revise my school list? Again, thank you!