WAMC 4.0/522. Worth applying out of top BS/MD Program? (2023-2024 cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroncosCountry12

Reaction score
  1. 4.0 cGPA and sGPA
  2. 522 MCAT: (131, 130, 131, 130)
  3. CA Residency
  4. ORM (Asian)
  5. Medium sized state school
  6. Clinical experience: 200 hours volunteering (just standard patient interaction at VA hospital & cancer center), 300 hours paid Medical Assistant
  7. Research Experience: ~15 pubs (mix of basic science, chart reviews, misc with a few first authors on the chart reviews and misc) - Strong point of my application
  8. Shadowing: 100 hours (~60 hours general surgery, 40 hours oncology)
  9. 300 non clinical volunteering hours
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. Founded a non profit to provide free medical education lecture series and health checkups for rural villages in India, legitimate non profit that received news coverage and government recognition in India – very important to me
    2. Founded a medical device company with members of my research lab (Have majority stake), have patent and FDA approval for product, company valued at ~$20 million
    3. have a youtube channel where I do NFL film analysis (my personal hobby that I have a passion for lol)
    4. Biology TA
    5. Member of a sustainability club in college
So the reason I am making this post is that I am in the third year of a BS/MD program and am wondering if I should spend the energy and resources applying out. The reason I'm applying out is that the current BS/MD program is quite far from family and I'm not the biggest fan of the location. The medical school is rated in the top 20, and even higher for some of the specialties I would like to enter (I know this can change easily but just something to throw out there). I am wondering if my application is strong enough to apply out and be accepted to the top schools. I would not attend a marginally better medical school because I made a lot of connections here in the specialties of my interest, so I would likely have a good chance of matching here for residency down the line.

Luckily, even if I apply out but am not accepted anywhere, I would still retain my seat in my current BS/MD program. I guess what I am asking is if you think my application would be strong enough for the really elite schools (Top 8ish) since I'd only be applying there if I was to apply out. I am not sure if I want to spend the money and time going through an application cycle if I only have a so so chance at getting into schools a tier above my current guaranteed acceptance.

Would greatly appreciate feedback for my pretty unique position haha. Really want to emphasize that I am not trying to brag or anything like that–just trying to get some insight as I am pretty unfamiliar with the caliber of students that get accepted to the top schools.

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't risk losing your guaranteed seat, I can't think of any disincentive to throw an application until the pool.

But if I were another serving in another school's admissions committee, I would want to know if you have a plan to give up all of those activities you seem to be passionate about. What is your transition plan to cede control of your non profit and your startup? You would likely be asked this even with your internal interview but the stakes would be higher to get an II or A elsewhere IMO.

It should also be mentioned how your status as a California applicant doesn't guarantee anything when it comes to getting an offer in general. I am sure you know this already.

Mr. Smile’s very accurate here. You’re a rock star, and there’s no harm in trying to climb higher up the pole. You’ve got an excellent backup option.

Members don't see this ad :)
The key is "spend the money and time". It is so time consuming to write all the essays and then the interviews. It the opportunity cost - will your time be better spent on research (or your other interests) so you can have the best match results. An elite medical school does not guarantee a better match result.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you have a chance at top schools, apply to only those that you would attend over your current guaranteed option. If this is only ~8 schools, it's worth the time and investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user