WAMC: 4.0 GPA, 522 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellbe_46192

Reaction score
Hey everyone, gonna put my first post here after getting my MCAT score this morning, which was a lot higher than I thought it was gonna be. So, I applied to 28 med schools, and I’m pretty sure I have a good shot, but I’m worried the mid to lower tier med schools will deny me to save space out of assumption I won’t go there. Did I apply to enough high caliber schools? If anyone has any schools they think I should add or take away, please let me know. I applied on June 1, Missouri resident, Georgia Tech BME undergrad. I have plenty of shadowing, volunteer, and clinical experience.

1. Rosalind Franklin
2. Drexel
3. Eastern Virginia
4. Emory
5. Geisinger
6. Georgetown
7. Harvard
8. Loyola Chicago
9. Medical College Wisconsin
10. NYU Grossman
11. Northwestern
12. SLU
13. Brown
14. Tulane
15. Arizona Phoenix
16. Hawaii
17. Illinois Chicago
18. Kansas
19. Kentucky
20. Louisville
21. U Miami
22. Mizzou
23. UMKC
24. Morsani
25. Vanderbilt
26. Wash U
27. Texas AM

Members don't see this ad.

Great job on your MCAT!!! On first blush - and based on stats alone - you could probably add another 5-8 T20's. I'll get out of the way so the big guns can weigh in. Again, really nice job on the MCAT AND GPA!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fill out the template
Apologies.

1. all GPA's 4.0
2. 522 (132/130/130/130)
3. MO
4. White male
5. Georgia Tech
6. Clinical experience: 600 hours ophtho scribe and tech, volunteered at various hospitals ~80 hours
7. Worked in three research labs in the fields of COVID, elderly patient care, and glaucoma, ended up with three publications and two poster presentations at national conferences.
8. ~120 shadowing hours in primary care, orthopedics, ophtho, cardiology, general surgery, and urology
9. ~250 hours nonclinical volunteer at Red Cross, various food pantries, medical device repair groups, and teaching people in Ukraine English.
10. Played water polo all throughout college, president of the team for two years, took the team to nationals, and 2022 All-American water polo player. Working for Pfizer in drug quality during gap year but I'm still getting plenty of clinical and volunteer work, mostly continuing in the places previously mentioned

Apologies.

1. all GPA's 4.0
2. 522 (132/130/130/130)
3. MO
4. White male
5. Georgia Tech
6. Clinical experience: 600 hours ophtho scribe and tech, volunteered at various hospitals ~80 hours
7. Worked in three research labs in the fields of COVID, elderly patient care, and glaucoma, ended up with three publications and two poster presentations at national conferences.
8. ~120 shadowing hours in primary care, orthopedics, ophtho, cardiology, general surgery, and urology
9. ~250 hours nonclinical volunteer at Red Cross, various food pantries, medical device repair groups, and teaching people in Ukraine English.
10. Played water polo all throughout college, president of the team for two years, took the team to nationals, and 2022 All-American water polo player. Working for Pfizer in drug quality during gap year but I'm still getting plenty of clinical and volunteer work, mostly continuing in the places previously mentioned
Forgot, recently patented a novel ureteral stent removal device and started a company focused on creating ureteral stent removal device patent portfolios that drastically decrease patient anxiety and pain during cystoscopies.

Forgot, recently patented a novel ureteral stent removal device and started a company focused on creating ureteral stent removal device patent portfolios that drastically decrease patient anxiety and pain during cystoscopies.
You could honestly apply to all T20 schools with a couple safeties if you want. I had a pretty similar profile to you and did well this past cycle. The patent/company + water polo + publications are particularly strong.

Any T20 besides UChicago is fine. Maybe no UCSF either. Just those two I know have a big social justice focus.

Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your stats so do not submit the secondaries.
I suggest these schools from your list:
4. Emory
6. Georgetown
7. Harvard
10. NYU Grossman
11. Northwestern
12. SLU
13. Brown
14. Tulane
21. U Miami
22. Mizzou
23. UMKC