WAMC 497 /3.01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LonelykingT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.01 sGPA 2.85

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 497 (125/122/125/125)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Florida

Ethnicity and/or race: African American

Undergraduate institution or category: FAMU

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Pharmacy Technician, Respiratory Therapist working in NICU and Cardiac ICU

Research experience and productivity: N/A

Shadowing experience and specialties represented: shadowed in person: Cardiology, OBGYN, cardio thoracic surgery, anesthesia

Virtual: Psych, FM

Non-clinical volunteering: Covid swabbing, Feeding the homeless, rural Covid education and food giveaway.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)

Pharmacy president

Student volunteer chair

Respiratory therapy chair

Respiratory therapy president

Gap year activity: masters program at meharry

Relevant honors or awards
3x deans list
1x honor

I was a stats, trig and calculus 1 and 2 tutor

Anything else not listed you think might be important

My amcas gpa trend is
freshman year 2.4

Sophomore year 2.3

Junior 3.7 gpa

Senior 3.5 gpa

I found out my mother (sole provider) had cancer my freshman year and that contributed to my poor start in my grades. I began working to support myself . This is something I aimed to change and improve upon since my last thread with you all and prioritize school more than anything currently had first exams in masters with 1 B and 3 As currently

Plan on retaking mcat in January at first available dates and updating schools with first semester masters gpa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think my science gpa is calculated incorrectly aswell. Some of my respiratory classes like cardiopulmonary science was classified as biology and the other half allied health not sure if it’s worth asking amcas about

Members don't see this ad :)
How well are you doing so far at Meharry? Is this a SMP?
We have done first exams and quizzes so far
Biochem is proving my most challenging subject probably because I never took it in undergrad but so far a high B close to an A in biochem, A in cell and molecular biology

A in microbiology and an A in physiology. We have two more sets of exams left.

It’s a guaranteed interview program SMP yes. It has high rates of success that if you meet the benchmarks 3.5 and 503 mcat you will be admitted into the medical cohort .

Reactions: 1 users
Which schools did you apply to ?
Meharry (my current SMP program)
Morehouse
Howard
Rosalin franklin
University of Miami
Nova
FAU
USF
FSU
FIU
Tulane
Louisiana state Shreveport
Emory
UCF

Your best chances are at Meharry, Howard and Morehouse. If no success this year post your new MCAT score here next year when available.

Your best chances are at Meharry, Howard and Morehouse. If no success this year post your new MCAT score here next year when available.
Okay! Thank you

You applied in another cycle. Did you get any interviews? Did you make thecWL,at any of those schools?
Last cycle I applied. No interviews and got waitlisted at a few schools. I only had my improved junior GPA at the time. When I asked for feedback from several schools they told me that they wanted to see more years of improved grades and that this wasn’t a fluke. I kept in contact with two adcoms for mentorship and shadowed them.

Right now I’m working on a 1 year masters. Hoping to add this as proof of continued good academics.

Im hoping my junior (3.7), senior year (3.5) and 1 year masters (pending) will be enough but I’m willing to do more schooling if needed

No LSU New Orleans?? Definitely connect with Ms. Horne or Dr. Woodson if interested in Tulane. Milesdown Anki deck is very helpful for MCAT prep/review and doing practice questions from Uworld (expensive) can be a game changer. Good luck friend!

No LSU New Orleans?? Definitely connect with Ms. Horne or Dr. Woodson if interested in Tulane. Milesdown Anki deck is very helpful for MCAT prep/review and doing practice questions from Uworld (expensive) can be a game changer. Good luck friend!
I applied to Shreveport instead of New Orleans should I add them to my list?

I will send an email today and try to connect tomorrow! Thank you for this!

I’m using Miledown now reviewing PS currently and I plan on buying uworld once November rolls around ( the masters program gives us between November- January ) to study for the mcat ( no classes at all)

Thank you so much for this !!!

I applied to Shreveport instead of New Orleans should I add them to my list?

I will send an email today and try to connect tomorrow! Thank you for this!

I’m using Miledown now reviewing PS currently and I plan on buying uworld once November rolls around ( the masters program gives us between November- January ) to study for the mcat ( no classes at all)

Thank you so much for this !!!
Both LSUs are state schools so if you apply to one you should apply to the other! Just be sure you have strong ties to Louisiana or have an established contact/networked with someone in the diversity or admissions office. No worries! Good luck! You got this!! Best advice, do all the practice questions for psych/soc in UWorld. A good amount of stuff that wasn't in the MilesDown deck or in the Kaplan books but in UWorld showed up on my actual MCAT. Their explanations are excellent, especially any charts/tables they have.

Reactions: 2 users
Well I took my mcat in January . I get my score Feb 14, will be updating soon hopefully with a higher mcat ! I am currently in a masters program at meharry and ended my fall semester with a 3.8 GPA.

Your just a late starter. You can do just fine. If you are open to the D.O. “ethos” you should consider it.

You’re just a late starter. You can do just fine. If you are open to the D.O. “ethos” you should consider it.
I am! I applied DO with these state and was told I wasn’t there academically yet. I applied to LMU,ACOM,PCOM and 1 more I can’t remember but pcom ghosted me , acom director was really nice but suggested I do a SMP and postbacc and LMU just waitlisted me. Hopefully next time I apply my masters gpa and mcat gets me somewhere