WAMC 506 MCAT 3.88 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

premedxdxdxd

Reaction score
I am worried about getting accepted due to my mcat and want to know what you all think with my stats and experience
General Stats:
-3.88 gpa, 3.8+ sGPA (Biochemistry major)
-MCAT: 506 (128/123/127/128) *my cars scores ranged from 119-131 RIP
- PreView: 7/9
- Casper: Exam September 28
-State of Residence: MO
-5 very strong LoR, (2 sci, 1 humanities, 1 PI, 1 supervisor)
-White female
-First generation
-No gap year applying right of college

Clinical volunteering/experience/shadowing:
-1200 hours as inpatient and outpatient phlebotomist
-100 hours as Hospital Advocate Volunteer (supporting patients in ER going through sexual assault exam)
-120 hours shadowing various specialties

Nonclinical Volunteering:
-300+ hours volunteering at domestic violence shelter (roles involved answering emergency hotline, emotional support, client intake, filing restraining orders)
- 48 hours service trip (setting up rural drug rehabilitation center)
-1200 hours working in customer service at country club

Leadership:
-Social Chair Premedical Scholars
-President Premedical Scholars
-Vice President Planned Parenthood Advocates
-Secretary Planned Parenthood Advocates
-Sorority Academic Chair
- Risk Manager Club Racquetball team

Research:
-230 hrs research assistant in clinical trial
-230 hrs research volunteer biochemistry lab

Misc.
-300 hrs TA Biochem Lab
-1200 hrs racquetball (hobby)

List
University of Missouri
SLU
KCU
RUSH
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
NSU
Midwestern Chicago
ATSU SOMA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should add more DO schools to increase your chances for interviews and I suggest these:
DMU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
PCOM
CUSOM
If you want to go to a MD schools add more schools this week and submit the secondaries by the end of September. I suggest these schools:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
You should add more DO schools to increase your chances for interviews and I suggest these:
DMU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
PCOM
CUSOM
If you want to go to a MD schools add more schools this week and submit the secondaries by the end of September. I suggest these schools:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you! I hope I have enough experiences everyone on here I feel like has so many gap years of things!

Thank you! I hope I have enough experiences everyone on here I feel like has so many gap years of things!
From my limited experience and knowledge you seem to have enough experience but the limiting factor for allopathic schools is your MCAT score. But that’s not to say you can’t or wont get in but you have increased chances of getting in to DO schools. If you don’t plan on retaking the MCAT and only want to have to apply once (which is always the goal) then you want to do it right by applying to both. I think you still have time to apply to DO schools because their cycle is longer than MD schools. Best of luck to you!

Actually I am happy with either MD or DO just I don’t know what residency I want to do that’s why I am worried
You don’t need to think about residency right now. That’s far off. Many DO’s have gotten into good residencies.

Can I ask why you want to go to allopathic? And what were your prehealth advisor's thoughts?
From my limited experience and knowledge you seem to have enough experience but the limiting factor for allopathic schools is your MCAT score. But that’s not to say you can’t or wont get in but you have increased chances of getting in to DO schools. If you don’t plan on retaking the MCAT and only want to have to apply once (which is always the goal) then you want to do it right by applying to both. I think you still have time to apply to DO schools because their cycle is longer than MD schools. Best of luck to you!
I ideally do not want to retake the MCAT, I can apply for accommodations which would help but in all honesty I just want to start med school after already applying! In all honesty I do not want to leave the midwest that is why my list is so short

Reactions: 1 users
It's hard to say you have enough community service hours for Rush. 300 is a bit low for them (usually want to see 500-1000).

Nothing wrong with staying close to home, but you definitely should add the DO schools in the Midwest, including DMU (which wants PREview scores).

It's hard to say you have enough community service hours for Rush. 300 is a bit low for them (usually want to see 500-1000).
Nothing wrong with staying close to home, but you definitely should add the DO schools in the Midwest, including DMU (which wants PREview scores).
Thank you I will look into that. I hope schools look the significance of the experience vs the hours. I feel this has been more influential than say 300 hours at a food bank. I have over 100 hrs as a hospital advocate which is volunteer and most of my leadership roles involved volunteering for instance with planned parenthood advocates we would have safe sex kit drives with an educational component. Hopefully that counts a bit :)

Thank you I will look into that. I hope schools look the significance of the experience vs the hours. I feel this has been more influential than say 300 hours at a food bank. I have over 100 hrs as a hospital advocate which is volunteer and most of my leadership roles involved volunteering for instance with planned parenthood advocates we would have safe sex kit drives with an educational component. Hopefully that counts a bit :)

Read Rush's mission and past profiles of successful applicants from past cycles on this forum. Most schools will look at the quality of experiences, but the application pool is such that most applicants with fewer than 100-150 hours will get screened out (there are just more applicants with more experience hours). For "brand" schools, you will need more hours and better quality of experience that shows your mission fit.

Yes, I think your PP involvement shows your commitment, and it could be put into the bucket for social advocacy and points to mission fit (though we don't want to doxx you for the details). I can argue for some of your activities to fall under similar responsibilities as "shelter work" to fold into the "service orientation" category, but the voting faculty need to be convinced.

I'm also sure you are taking a very close look at the political environment that may prevent you from being more involved and how it may affect your own education or personal health/safety.

Read Rush's mission and past profiles of successful applicants from past cycles on this forum. Most schools will look at the quality of experiences, but the application pool is such that most applicants with fewer than 100-150 hours will get screened out (there are just more applicants with more experience hours). For "brand" schools, you will need more hours and better quality of experience that shows your mission fit.

Yes, I think your PP involvement shows your commitment, and it could be put into the bucket for social advocacy and points to mission fit (though we don't want to doxx you for the details). I can argue for some of your activities to fall under similar responsibilities as "shelter work" to fold into the "service orientation" category, but the voting faculty need to be convinced.

I'm also sure you are taking a very close look at the political environment that may prevent you from being more involved and how it may affect your own education or personal health/safety.
I received and completed the RUSH secondary, is the hour screening pre or post secondary for the school? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.