WAMC: 520/3.85 low volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diogenes's Barrel

Reaction score
I know I have good enough stats to apply most schools, but my primary worry is that my activities section will be very lacking. As it stands, I have fewer than 10 activities to put onto the AMCAS. I did not do research during undergrad partially because it was hard to get in during COVID years then I graduated early, but I did 20 credit hours of labs. I have been scribing full time for a year, I have 1-2 shadow experiences for ~50 hours, 150 hours as the chair of an undergrad club, about 1000 hours spent as a opto tech, but I only have about 80 hours non clinical volunteering right now which has all been within the last 8 months. I am starting to volunteer for hospice, and I have about 60 hours scheduled for underserved community volunteering in July. Would there be a significant reduction in odds by waiting until mid-late July to submit the primary, so that I can acrue more time and include these experiences? Can I rely on projecting out hours?

Also, I was thinking that it is possible the higher stats might make adcoms worry about personality. Would it be a bad idea to include Fraternity membership as an activity given the stigmas about greek life.

not SES disadvantaged, no URM

Because of the lack of research and activities, should I adjust school list downwards, or would I get yield protected because of stats. Right now, I care more about making sure I get in versus where I get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? What is the nature of your 80 hours of non clinical volunteering ? Projecting hours have no value.

Would it be a bad idea to include Fraternity membership as an activity given the stigmas about greek life.
Applicants do it. They focus on their community service as fraternity members.

What does your prehealth advising team think?

Please use the template.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. cGPA 3.85 and sGPA 3.85
  2. MCAT 520 (131/127/130/132)
  3. VA
  4. White
  5. UVA
  6. ED scribe paid. ~1400 hours to date. Worked in an optometric practice for ~1500 hours (new figure now that i think about it more), got to perform scans and work up patients
  7. research 20 credit hours in undergrad labs. none otherwise
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~30 hours IR, ~20 EM outside of the actual scribe hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 80 hours working for an organization that supports intellectually/developmentally disabled adults. recently started Hospice, will be in a 4 day program in July for young adults with down syndrome. Did some tutoring for student veterans maybe 80 hours
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 150-200 hours in a club responsible for providing grants, organising symposia and publishing an undergrad journal for students performing undergraduate research. I was thinking about including guitar as a hobby. I started playing 2 years ago for fun during school and i am not really good enough to play for anyone other than friends or family. I was in a fraternity with philanthropy for brain cancer as well as student veterans... I never really talked to pre health advising, but due to the fraternity situation at UVA they probably would discourage including
  11. Chemistry Department Award for Excellence. some deans list (deans list not active during Covid). I was valedictorian in highschool but it seems people don't typically include this.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I went to Governors school for spanish at the end of high school and actually became conversationally proficient. I would like to include this but poeple generally say to avoid things before undergrad. I did graduate undergrad in 3 years and half of that time had heavy covid restrictions.

Your low non clinical volunteering hours are your only weakness. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Duke
Wake Forest
Emory
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Miami
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Hackensack
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
Mayo
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
Low non-clinical service orientation activities will make you vulnerable. Philanthropy and teaching/tutoring don't count. You can focus on the activities where you see the people you are helping and not in a staged way (like a gala).

So I'm not sure that your concerns about your fraternity membership are justified. Was there anything specific about your organization that stands out in a negative way (got suspended, charter was revoked?)?

Your low non clinical volunteering hours are your only weakness. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Duke
Wake Forest
Emory
Vanderbilt
USF Morsani
Miami
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Hackensack
Vermont
Tufts
Boston University
Mayo
Kaiser
Thank you, Faha. Would it be wiser to wait a year to apply after getting more hours, or do you see students get in with similar activities sections? Is it likely to apply, get an interview then, having accrued more time, be able to clear up that weakness by the time of the interview?

Low non-clinical service orientation activities will make you vulnerable. Philanthropy and teaching/tutoring don't count. You can focus on the activities where you see the people you are helping and not in a staged way (like a gala).

So I'm not sure that your concerns about your fraternity membership are justified. Was there anything specific about your organization that stands out in a negative way (got suspended, charter was revoked?)?
Yes, sir. Just about all of them have been suspended, investigated or kicked off in the last few years. UVA may be my top choice, and I'm sure that their adcom would know about this. I also do not want to lie on my application, and it seems like it could be an omission of truth by not including it. It also explains another 1 of my 6 semesters not being very eventful.

Yes, sir. Just about all of them have been suspended, investigated or kicked off in the last few years. UVA may be my top choice, and I'm sure that their adcom would know about this. I also do not want to lie on my application, and it seems like it could be an omission of truth by not including it. It also explains another 1 of my 6 semesters not being very eventful.
Unless somehow you are culpable of activities that result in an organization being under investigation or suspension (and it is so documented by your Student Conduct office), you should not have to suppress your involvement unless otherwise advised by your prehealth team. I have no doubt the experience was not fun.

Unless somehow you are culpable of activities that result in an organization being under investigation or suspension (and it is so documented by your Student Conduct office), you should not have to suppress your involvement unless otherwise advised by your prehealth team. I have no doubt the experience was not fun.
Thank you, Mr.Smile12 . I will certainly consider leaving it on.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, Faha. Would it be wiser to wait a year to apply after getting more hours, or do you see students get in with similar activities sections? Is it likely to apply, get an interview then, having accrued more time, be able to clear up that weakness by the time of the interview?
You do not need to wait another year. Accumulate those hours in the coming year anyway.