DO WAMC and prescreening

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baller34

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I got my MCAT back recently and got a 497. It's not what I wanted, and I plan on retaking it unless by some slim chance I get accepted before then. I have a 3.4cgpa, but due to me being an idiot I have a barely sub 3.0 sgpa. I went off of the AAMC guidelines for gpa instead of AACOMAS, so my math classes didn't get factored into the sgpa (like a 0.3 drop, I like math). That really frustrated me when I found out, since now I have less schools that I can apply to due to prescreening. I was really looking forward trying my luck with a school like BCOM, but they have a 3.0 cut-off according to their website. I understand that my odds are low and I will likely have to take a gap year, but I would still like to try. Given a solid application outside of my terrible stats, would anyone have any suggestions on where to apply? I'm ORM. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what to do during a gap year it would be appreciated. I think my odds are low, but I don't believe that they are nonexistent, especially if I improve my MCAT before this cycle ends. I've read forums dealing with this stuff before, but I would like to hear what people think about my sgpa. This is all of the information about myself that I am willing to say online. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact ?

TN, I have about 20 osteopathic shadowing hours and about 50ish overall. I have volunteering thats not clinical but have work experience in a health care field. I was planning on getting more hours before this rona hit. Sorry I'm not going into a lot of details, I just like keeping my privacy. And thanks for the response

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest you take enough undergraduate level science courses at a local college in the coming year in order to increase your sGPA to 3.0. You should do this in case you need to reapply. 200+ hours of clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact would also help. There are a few schools where you could receive interviews with a MCAT of 497 and I suggest these:
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
LECOM (Erie, Seton Hill and Elmira)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ICOM
BCOM
Noorda-COM (new school)
ATSU-SOMA
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by September.

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful. One quick question though, do you know if most of these prescreens are hard? For example, WVSOM says on their website that they screen for a 3.2 sgpa. Do you recommend that I still apply to these schools with these types of screens? I was wondering if I would automatically have my primary rejected due to this.

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful. One quick question though, do you know if most of these prescreens are hard? For example, WVSOM says on their website that they screen for a 3.2 sgpa. Do you recommend that I still apply to these schools with these types of screens? I was wondering if I would automatically have my primary rejected due to this.
Call the school and ask them. Schools such as CUSOM and the VCOMs do have a hard screen which is why I did not include them.