WAMC as a Reapplicant (523/3.8)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feath6r

Reaction score
MCAT: 523 (131/130/130/132)
2 gap years
sGPA: 3.79 cGPA: 3.8
  • Graduated from HYPMS in 2023
Volunteering: 325 hours - 50 hours helping setup soccer for those with multiple sclerosis testing site on campus, 100 hours soup kitchen; 150 hours as a Red Cross receptionist helping phlebotomist with patient intake
Research: total: 3150; 700 hours – Senior Thesis where I studied embryo development; 250 hours – summer online research internship where I studied neural pathways in C. elegans; 200 hours – wet lab research where I helped with dissecting mouse aortas on a project studying atherosclerosis; 2000 hours – currently working as a research technician at Columbia Medical School studying an obscure pathway in a form of cancer. No publications unfortunately but might end up on a review by apps (still not sure though) :(.
Work Experience: 900 hours – worked at family owned business during COVID as it was hard to hire people; 75 hours – currently driving for Uber on the side to help pay for medical school applications; 150 hours - worked as a TA for a statistics course in undergraduate for 5 semesters
Clinical Experience: 700 hours – volunteered as an EMT at the rescue squad by my undergraduate school.
Leadership: 600 hours – captain of a school dance team (200 hours as captain)
Shadowing: 60 hours – 20 hours with an orthopedic surgeon and 40 with an emergency doc
Hobbies: Street photography, skating
Demographics: VA resident. South Asian Male

Note: I ended up applying last cycle but decided to not submit most of my secondaries (only submitted 6 and all of them very late) so I could take another gap year and be on the same application cycle as my girlfriend. She’s from the west coast so my list reflects wanting to be close to her. I also applied to lots of schools to increase my chances of being in a big city either close to her or for quicker/cheaper flights to wherever she may end up.

1. Stanford
  2. USC Keck
  3. UCSF
  4. UCLA
  5. UCSD
  6. NYU
  7. Columbia
  8. Icahn
  9. Harvard
  10. Yale
  11. Vanderbilt
  12. UPenn
  13. Duke
  14. UChicago
  15. Rosalind Franklin Chicago
  16. Cornell
  17. Northwestern
  18. UVA
  19. VCU
  20. EVMS
  21. WashU
  22. JHU
  23. Vanderbilt
  24. UMD
  25. UFlorida
  26. UMiami
  27. Georgetown
  28. UPitt
  29. OSU
  30. UCincinnati
  31. George Washington
  32. Sidney Kimmel
  33. Emory University
  34. Mayo Clinic – Alix

Members don't see this ad.

U Florida admits very few non residents with no connection to the state. Rosalind Franklin will probably "yield protect" with your stats. You could add Hofstra, Einstein, Rochester, USF Morsani

Your application looks solid. Be focused on your OOS stats if you are trying to go away from Virginia (which I would expect attention). Your mission fit needs to be clearer though. You have just enough hours with service orientation activities like food pantry and Red Cross volunteer, but it's not clear what your purpose is as a future physician.

I say this because the California schools like to see your interest serving patients representative of their regions or communities.