WAMC C/O 2025 - NC Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12FutureVet12

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I had posted this forum back in may when I was putting my application together, however I thought I would post some updated stats now that my applications are submitted in hopes that you all would have some input on my chances!

I am a pre-vet student at a small liberal arts college in Virginia. I will be completing a BS in biology as well as a minor in animal science and chemistry in spring of 2021. I have taken between 16-18 credit hours every semester, and in summer 2019 I took 11 credits, and for summer 2020 I took 22 credits while working as well. I ended up getting an additional ~700 hours of large animal experience (also some wildlife experience with possums, skunks, and deer). Please let me know what you guys think about my application!

21 yr/F/NC resident, graduating undergrad in Virginia in spring 2021
Applied to 8 schools: UGA, VT, LMU, NC state, Florida, Missouri, Tufts, and Iowa.

Overall GPA : 3.59 w grade replacement; 3.45 w/o grade replacement (I retook gen chem 1 and 2 and greatly improved my grades after a learning difficulty diagnosis)
Science GPA : 3.3 with grade replacement, 3.23 without grade replacement (this is lower than I would like)
Last 45 : 3.81

GRE : did just about average. Since UGA was the only school I applied to that required it this cycle, I didn't stress too much over it.

Veterinary experience:
small animal shadowing - 280 hours while in college; primarily preventative medicine for small animals, some surgeries.
large animal ambulatory shadowing - 180 hours summer 2018
large animal ambulatory assistant - 1375 total hours; working with goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas, horses, cattle, and some exotics (some wildlife rehab, etc). traditional medicine as well as acupuncture and chiropractic. Working both regular appointments as well as emergencies

General animal experience:
Grew up with dogs, cats, chickens, one year with sheep, extensive experience with horses
874 hours - job as kennel assistant and assisted with restraint, treatments, and minor procedures in a small animal clinic while in high school
Trail guide/stable hand - est. 1400 hours
1 year on my schools equestrian team
250 hours - Pet sitting a range of animals, mostly companion but some cattle and horses too

Employment outside of vet med:
2 years as receptionist/Student assistant at college office (average 6 hours per week)
Supplemental Instructor (similar to TA position) for a general biology course for spring 2020 semester.

Research:
Independent study through my college - "The Effects of Probiotic Yeast on the In-Vitro Rumen"
completed a full literature review and proposal to present, was approved by department. Have been working on this project since Spring 2018 with my research mentor, and will continue to work on it until I complete undergrad. I attended the Virginia Academy of Sciences Research meeting in fall 2019, and won a research grant. I was invited to attend the 2020 Fall meeting for VAS to present my new findings, but it was cancelled Due to Covid-19. Also was registered to attend Association for Southeast Biology Research Conference in Jacksonville, FL, which was also cancelled due to Covid.

Clubs:
Pre-Health Club
Pre-Vet Club
Tri-Beta Honor Society
Blue-Key Honor Society

Awards/Positions
- Deans list
- 2019 Virginia Academy of Sciences Research Grant
- 2020/21 Tri-Beta Honor Society Treasurer

LOR's:
- large animal ambulatory veterinarian
- advisor and professor for undergrad, also department chair for biology
- research mentor
- pre-vet advisor
- employer at my university job - LMU required a LOR from a vet and an employer separately.

Extenuating circumstances: I did have to retake general chemistry (which I did and got an A in first semester and a B in second semester after retaking). This was accounted for though in my explanation statements. I had an internship set up at an agricultural extension of VT to help out during lambing season (the facility had over 100 head of ewes, it was going to be great experience!), however that was also cut off due to covid.

In my personal statements, I talked a lot about my interest in rural medicine. The majority of my experience is in rural medicine, and I have truly fell in love with it. Not sure if this will help my application at all, and would be open to thoughts on this?

I am open to all constructive criticism as well as general recommendations and comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Every school calculates/looks at science GPA differently, unless you had >3.4 in each category for NC State, you will likely be automatically rejected.

Every school calculates/looks at science GPA differently, unless you had >3.4 in each category for NC State, you will likely be automatically rejected.

Hello! Thanks for your input. Since I am in state, the minimum GPA requirement is a 3.0 as stated on their website. I was anxious to apply to their program, even though I am in state since it is so competitive! I also have reached out to their admissions team regarding my ability to apply, so I should be good to at least be reviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Thanks for your input. Since I am in state, the minimum GPA requirement is a 3.0 as stated on their website. I was anxious to apply to their program, even though I am in state since it is so competitive! I also have reached out to their admissions team regarding my ability to apply, so I should be good to at least be reviewed.
Totally misread your gender for Florida resident instead, sorry about that. Totally my bad!

UGA can be hit or miss for OOS applicants since there are relatively few OOS spots. Believe the class size has been expanded from 114 to 125 for class of 2025. Not sure what the breakdown will be. In past years it was 80 IS, 19 contract seats (2 DE, 17 SC), and 15 OOS.

Your vet experiences and research are good. Your last 45 gpa is great. Your cumulative and science gpa's are a bit lower than their averages, but not drastically so. Be aware that UGA only considers their science pre-req's in their science gpa calculation and does average retakes. The last posted average GRE on their website was 311.

Overall your application is well rounded. From a tuition standpoint, hopefully NC State will work out. Can't beat that IS tuition! Best of luck to you!

UGA can be hit or miss for OOS applicants since there are relatively few OOS spots. Believe the class size has been expanded from 114 to 125 for class of 2025. Not sure what the breakdown will be. In past years it was 80 IS, 19 contract seats (2 DE, 17 SC), and 15 OOS.

Your vet experiences and research are good. Your last 45 gpa is great. Your cumulative and science gpa's are a bit lower than their averages, but not drastically so. Be aware that UGA only considers their science pre-req's in their science gpa calculation and does average retakes. The last posted average GRE on their website was 311.

Overall your application is well rounded. From a tuition standpoint, hopefully NC State will work out. Can't beat that IS tuition! Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your input! UGA is definitely a reach school for me; I have had the most exposure to their program and it has always been my dream to attend. I know it is a reach, but I felt like if I didn't apply, I would always wonder if I would be considered or not! As for my GPA, I am concerned about it being slightly below many schools GPA average. This being said, I did have extenuating circumstances in my freshman year when I had to retake gen chem, and I did have a constant increase in GPA throughout my academic career (3.15 freshman year, and constantly increasing to a 3.8 so far for my senior year). I am hoping this will be beneficial on my application!

Also, I have accepted a job as a veterinary assistant at a small animal clinic starting soon. Does anyone know if I can add this to my experience for my application, and if the schools will consider this?

Thank you again for your input!

This isn't super relevant, but c/o of 2024 is at 125, and I think they are looking to increase to 150 at some point. I don't know our class break down, but it is true there are very few OOS. NC State is definitely going to have better odds just on applicants alone.

This isn't super relevant, but c/o of 2024 is at 125, and I think they are looking to increase to 150 at some point. I don't know our class break down, but it is true there are very few OOS. NC State is definitely going to have better odds just on applicants alone.

Thank you for your comment! I agree that I would have better odds at NC state. When you applied to Georgia, were you in state?

Yes I'm a GA resident

Reactions: 1 user