WAMC? c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monarchwings

Reaction score
Wanted to throw my stats out there and see what y'all think, I'm a 30 year old lady finally getting my BS this upcoming spring, visualizing the possibility of attending vet school next fall still feels a bit surreal.

Cumulative GPA: 3.19 (VMCAS), Transcript Cumulative is 3.34
Science GPA: 3.10
Last 45: 3.86

Any degrees achieved: BS in Agricultural Science & Minor in Animal Science (Pre-Veterinary Studies) @ Cal Poly Pomona

GRE results: N/A

Veterinary Experience:
  • 3450+ hours at an animal hospital (5 doctor practice), started working as reception in April 2021, promoted to Exam Room Technician/Pharmacy Tech in early 2022, currently working there.
Animal Experience:
  • Dog daycare attendant (2018-2021), promoted to front desk manager in 2019 (5700 hours)
  • Petsitting since 2008 (I put 3000 hours because I didn't know how to properly calculate this one??)
  • Large animal experience on a farm in New Zealand, feeding sheep, cows, and a pig. (144 hours)
  • Volunteer at local shelter from 2011-2013
Research Experience:
  • None :l
Awards/scholarships:
  • Dean's list every semester since Fall 2020, President's list in 2021 and 2022.
  • Dean's list with honors 3 semesters at my previous CC.
Extracurriculars:
  • Pre vet club
  • Violinist at previous community college from 2018-2020
Non-Animal Related Employment:
  • Barista at local coffee shop (2015-2018)
  • Sales associate at local gift shop (2015-2018)
I just realized I didn't list all of jobs on my application, I just listed jobs from 2015 and on, I didn't know if I should have listed every single job I've ever had?

LORS:
  • 2 letters from DVMs at my workplace
  • 1 letter from my parasitology professor who is also a DVM
  • 1 letter from my genetics professor
  • 1 letter from my plant science professor
Concerns: No research experience, lack of volunteer experience - I was asked during an interview what volunteer work I've done, but explained since I work/go to school full time volunteering is tough. I've looked into places I'm interested in, but time commitments are pretty strict and my schedule is limited. Also concerned about the two year gap from 2013-2015 that I forgot to list on my application, but I've been employed since 2010. GPA is low for cumulative/science, but I have a decent explanation statement.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, totally forgot that bit! Western, Massey, LIU, Colorado, Oregon, and St. George.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Western is the school closest to me and I'm interested in PBL, and have spoken to a few DVMs who have attended and a friend who works in their small animal clinic currently. I'm particularly interested in Massey because I've lived in New Zealand for a bit in the past and really loved it, and through speaking with admin from there it sounds like it could be a good fit. I've spoken with current students at St George, Colorado, and Oregon and through doing research on their programs as well as LIU I applied to them as well because I could visualize myself going there too. I know Colorado and Oregon are very competitive, (as are all the schools tbh) but I wanted to try my shot anyway.

I think you have a shot! It’s tough out there, and your GPA is definitely on the low end.

I can’t promise you will get accepted this go around, so I would keep working on your application until you hear back. I’m not sure how Massey weighs GPA. As a non traditional 1st year student at LIU, I’m rooting for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your feedback! I plan to get more volunteer experience over winter break. It's rough during the semesters, but I really would like to gain more vet med experience outside of GP. I know that if I don't get in this cycle, I'm gonna graduate in the spring and will have ample time to build my application more before reapplying. I appreciate your support, non trad students unite! :) Would love to speak with you about your experience at LIU so far when you have a moment :)