WAMC c/o 2028 2nd time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfw000

Reaction score
WAMC 22 y/o F 2nd time applicant
Cumulative GPA: 3.46
science GPA: 3.41
last 45: 3.69

Degrees:
BS in Biological sciences

GRE results: Don't plan on taking

Veterinary Experience:
  • 2080 hrs- Veterinary assistant at a small animal hospital, dogs & cats only. I assist in surgery and general sick appt intake. Current job
  • 120 hrs- part of my study abroad program was wildlife veterinary medicine based
Animal Experience:
  • 140 hrs - Worked at a barn with horses. Turning in/out, grooming, feeding, mucking stalls
  • 450hrs- Wildlife rehabilitation intern at wildlife hospital for the summer. My internship was more rehabilitation based, less veterinary-heavy.
  • 180 hrs- Pet sitting for families in my neighborhood. Provided overnight care and drop-in visits to pets.
  • 100 hrs- another part of my study abroad included providing care to injured and orphaned wildlife, not under vet supervision
Research Experience: kinda all over the place
  • 120 hrs- field ecology research class. I designed & executed an experimental study on the impact of trail recreation on leaf litter arthropod biodiversity. Received 4 credits.
  • 340 hrs- designed & executed social media analysis to identify wildlife value orientations concerning Southern Resident killer whales and the role of motherhood, emotion, and anthropomorphism on public responses to conservation. Received 3 independent study credits.
  • 100 hrs- assisted phd student w research by analyzing camera footage of nesting male Hellbender salamanders and egg clutches in artificial shelters
  • 100 hrs- study abroad included a disease research portion, both in the field and in the lab. I ran PCR in the lab and collected samples in the field
  • 160 hrs- I got to go abroad again with the same study abroad professor, this time as a field technician in their lab. I trapped & radio-collared banded mongoose & collected & processed fecal & urine samples.
Extracurriculars:
  • 64 hrs- Pre-vet club member for 1 year
  • 30 hrs- Member of my university’s women's health & wellness club for 1 year
Employment Experience:
  • 490 hrs- Accounting assistant. Temporary summer job to help out my family at the time
  • 200hrs- Part-time caregiver for a family with 3 children during the summer
Awards/scholarships:
  • Dean's List Summer 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022
I am taking 2 online courses this summer to fulfill prereqs for some other schools I'm interested in. I'm taking animal nutrition and an animal physiology course, both online, so hopefully that will help out my GPA.

My letters of rec will be from my study abroad professor, my wildlife rehab internship supervisor, and 2 veterinarians & the lead vet tech at the current practice I work for.

I applied to VMCVM this past year and was ~denied~. I think it's because my essays were weak and it was before I was working at the hospital I'm currently full-time at. I will definitely strengthen my personal statement so I can shine through more. I'm feeling better about my second time around but I'm also nervous I'm not on the right track to getting in

Ideally, I want to go to VMCVM (my instate school) but I'm open to anywhere in the US. I've been looking at UGA too. Ideally, I would love to get accepted into a dual 4 year DVM/MPH program. I have always loved veterinary research and feel passionate about furthering the field of OneHealth. Please let me know if you have any tips on how to strengthen my chances! Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you asked the schools you applied to for a file review?

It is always good to diversify your veterinary hours by volunteering/part time work at a Large animal veterinary clinic, exotics clinic, specialty clinics if possible.