MD & DO WAMC Canadian applicant to both US and Canadian med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquaisra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I am a third year undergrad in a BSc. I have decided to apply to both US and Canadian medical schools this year. After researching everything, I've really only just begun to realize how crazily competitive it is, and honestly I am not really sure how my stats stack up to that of the average applicant. Reading other posts has made me feel that my ECs and academic stats aren't really up to par, but I'm not sure if that's just because this is an online forum which would attract more motivated individuals or not.

MCAT: 33 10 VR/11 BS/ 12 PS
GPA (for all 4 years): For the AACOMSAS: sGPA= 3.99 cGPA=3.99
ECs: Taekwondo practitioner and instructor for 8 years, several summer research jobs, a couple of abstracts and presentations as well as one published paper (from the same research study though), several student organizations throughout undergrad including one which I helped run, lots of small little events, renewable scholarship, deans lists and all that, 3 years working with hospital volunteer programs, and 3 summers of involvement with community volunteer programs.

My honest opinion about my stats is that my ECs are average, my MCAT is okay and my GPA is good. And that this would translate to very little chance of out of province admission in Canada, a fair chance for IP (which is one medical school), and I have no idea about DO and MD schools in the US.

Any help with regards to US DO and MD schools would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good chance at DO. There are supposed to be 21 of them that accept internationals. Apparently only 14 actually matriculated any last year according to Osteopathic Medicine College Information.
Although there are reported to be 74 MD schools that accept international students, many took none or 1 last year and very few take more than single digits. You need to buy the MSAR and search for schools where your stats are at or above the median. There is also an international thread over in pre allo.
If you have not already been verified by AMCAS, I suggest that you delay your US MD application until next cycle.

Thank you very much for the reply. I knew that I was a little late for the Anerican schools, but it is nice to know ones chances before hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a perfect GPA and a solid MCAT, you can get into a USMD school next cylce (opening May/June 2015) no problem.
It is too late to apply to USMD schools now as an international student.

You can still apply DO and get in, even this late, but with your stats, and if 1 year isn't an issue - then wait and apply MD. Your life will be that much easier as an international student.

You should also have a decent shot at interviews at Canadian schools, depending on what province you are in, and your school selection.

So.. I'm not sure what the deal is with the MSAR stats, but the stats for my current school lists "0" under the internationals accepted column. Understanding that the MSAR lags a couple of years behind the actual matriculation data, given that it needs time to go to print and such, I'm not sure that schools that list a "0" necessarily don't accept Canadians. While I think the MSAR is a great resource, and definitely the go to choice for GPA/MCAT stats, sometimes emailing/calling the schools that you are really interested in may be useful.
I bring this up because I had worse stats than yours in 2009-2010 (when I applied), and managed to get into a school that at the time did not accept OOS applicants, with the exception of children of alumni and the MD/PhD program. (and there's two internationals in my year, including myself in the MD/PhD program here..)