WAMC cGPA 3.75/sGPA 3.67/517/ Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjoke555

Reaction score
  1. Graduated in December of 2020 w/ cGPA 3.75 & sGPA of 3.67
  2. MCAT- 517 --- Chem/Physics - 127, CARS - 130, BIO - 129, Psych/Soc - 131
  3. Va residency
  4. ORM (white female)
  5. Went to High Point University for my undergrad after getting my associate's from a local community college while in high school
  6. Clinical experience
1. Patient Transport as an EMT-B -- 02/2021-current w/ about 3500 hours completed and I will continue this at about 24 hrs a month
2. Local government 911 EMT-B -- 05/2022- current w/ about 500 hours w/ anticipation of continuing this experience @ 72-80 hrs a month
3. Local 911 volunteer experience as an EMT-B -- 08/2020-06/2022 w/ about 320 hours
4. Free clinic triage volunteer -- 2/2023- current w/ about 25 hours and anticipation of continuing this experience @ 6-10 hours a month

7. Research experience and productivity
1. Clinical research on the opioid epidemic -- 6/2018- 8/2018 w/ about 80 hours.
2. Wet-lab entomology research -- 08/2019 - 12/202 w/ ~180 hours
3. Neurosurgery retrospective research -- 10/2022- current. This project is still under IRB review and has not begun

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
1. Neurosurgery shadowing- 01/2017 -- 01/2019 w/ about 60 hours
2. Currently attempting to get more shadowing hours since the local hospital just opened its shadowing availability back up

9. Non-clinical volunteering
1. New Freedom Farm -- 3/2021- current -- a local non-riding equine therapy farm that uses groundwork and peer support to help Veterans (primarily) and first responders in need. I primarily worked with the horses until I developed an allergy. I did not work with the veterans much directly due to the lack of relatability w/ talking to a civilian. ~230 hours w/ minimal hours anticipated upcoming (~10-20)
2. Healing Strides -- 6/2022-8/2022 -- A riding therapy program for those w/ disabilities. I did not realize how bad my allergies had gotten and would act up in enclosed spaces like the barn so was only able to be there for about 2 hours at a time (after taking allergy meds) so I have very limited time there (~8 hrs) and cut ties pretty quickly. Is this even something I should include?
3. Local ED volunteering -- 06/2018- 8/2018 ~38 hrs

10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
1. Hobby- Horseback Riding -- 01/2012- 01/2022 -- I competed horses and rode throughout my academic career
2. University Equestrian Team -- 07/2018- 5/2019 ~180 hrs
3. Mentor -- 08/2019- 5/2020 ~20 hrs -- Mentored a freshman in the same Science scholarship program I was in about success skills in college.

11. Relevant honors or awards
1. Dean's list, Alpha Lambda Delta Academic society, National society of Leadership and Success academic society

I am currently waitlisted at Wake Forest, EVMS, and VCU (which were also the only three I interviewed at). The only change in my application this cycle will be the addition of Free clinic volunteering and (hopefully) additional shadowing. I also was late in submitting my application last year (primary mid July and secondaries mid August- mid September) which may have impacted my chances as well. I would like any input on my application as a whole and advice on whether to wait to apply for the 2024-2025 cycle instead of the 2023-2024 cycle w/ a MCAT retake due to expiration.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish you the best on your WL's.

It appears most of your non-clinical community service is closely related to your hobbies in equestrian athletics. That's great, especially if you were a vet school candidate. For medical school though, you need more service directly affecting humans, such as food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Your work with the free clinic will help you, but you need a standard community service opportunity as I had described.

Hopefully you receive positive news from the WL schools soon.

Leave off Healing Strides and the Local ED volunteering. The limited time span and hours do not make them worth including.

What schools did you apply to outside of the 3 you received interviews from?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Mr.Smile12 Thank you for the advice! As of right now do you believe it is useful for me to reapply for the 2023-2024 cycle or gain an experience in one of those volunteer types you mentioned, retake the MCAT, and reapply in the 2024-2025 cycle?

@chilly_md Thank you! I figured the healing strides wasn't worth much at this point (love the constantly changing immune system) but didn't want it to seem weird since I had it on my app this past cycle lol.
My School list:
Eastern Virginia
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham Marnix E. Heersink School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
I will admit that my school list was limited last year and I only ended up sending secondaries to 6 of these listed but also understand the need to expand this in my upcoming reapplication(s).

6 completed apps to 3 interviews is an insane ratio. You're probably fine tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
@Mr.Smile12 Thank you for the advice! As of right now do you believe it is useful for me to reapply for the 2023-2024 cycle or gain an experience in one of those volunteer types you mentioned, retake the MCAT, and reapply in the 2024-2025 cycle?
You were pretty successful so let's see what happens with the waitlists, but still plan a reapplication, seeking an opportunity as suggested.

@chilly_md Thank you! I figured the healing strides wasn't worth much at this point (love the constantly changing immune system) but didn't want it to seem weird since I had it on my app this past cycle lol.
My School list:
I will admit that my school list was limited last year and I only ended up sending secondaries to 6 of these listed but also understand the need to expand this in my upcoming reapplication(s).

You should have more success with an expanded school list. Some of the schools that you at least submitted your primary to take very few OOS students without significant ties (UNC, UAB, South Carolina).

I suggest these if you have to reapply:

VCU
EVMS
UVA
Wake Forest
Miami
USF
Nova MD
Emory
Iowa
Hofstra
Rochester