WAMC denied this cycle pls help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureponydr

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a current senior about to graduate and this cycle I recieved 8 rejects and 1 waitlist im holding out hope for. I know that my GPA is my issue but am not sure whether to complete a masters or to just retake courses i did not do as well in here are some of my stats.
GPA:
Overall-3.3
Science: 3.0
Hours:
Vet: 1386
Research: 160
Animal: 1224
Leadership: served on the executive council of my sorority.
I plan to keep working at the clinic I currently work at to up my hours even more- but what should I do? Is it too a late for me? This has highly been weighing on me and I am so scared that my dreams may never come to fruition!

Members don't see this ad.

We'll need a bit more info to give you as much help as possible - please add in the schools you applied to, any others you may be interested in, your in-state school if applicable, your last 45 GPA, and a breakdown of your experience hours.

A couple questions off the bat - did you do file reviews at the schools where you applied? As far as your grades go, do you have classes where you got a C or below?

Reactions: 1 users
There isn't really enough information in your post for specific suggestions, but some things to think about in general:
  • If you're a senior with a lot of credits, your GPA might not improve significantly with more courses. Retaking may be beneficial if you plan on applying to schools with grade replacement. A masters is a lot of money to spend on a something to improve an application and it doesn't guarantee an acceptance. I would personally only do one if I had an interest in the career field and would actually use it sans vet med.

• What schools did you apply to? Some heavily favor GPA and won't even look at you below that years cutoff. Other holistic schools look to see if you meet the minimum and then consider your entire application. Some will forgive a low cumulative GPA if you have a strong Last 45 GPA and can show academic improvements. You're also more likely to be accepted to an in-state school than any of the out-of-state schools.

• What type of vet hours? Do they match up with your stated interests? Are they diverse with multiple vets / species / areas of vet med? Same with animal hours. Farm work? Owning pets? Shelter volunteering?

• What other extracurriculars if any? Things like community service, sports clubs, any awards or certifications that show who you are outside of being a student? Employment experiences?

• How about your LORs? Are they from people who know you well and can write a strong recommendation?

As WildZoo alluded to, the only people who know why you were rejected are in the schools admissions office. Speaking with them about what you can do to improve your application and then making those changes and applying smart the next cycle is probably the best way to go.

Don't give up hope on the waitlist, either! Just hope for the best and plan for the worst. Good luck!

Last edited: