MD & DO WAMC Double check my regional school list please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliengeometry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Made a list and got feedback from r/premed, now would really appreciate additional eyes on the updated version!

Quick stats

sGPA 3.73, cGPA 3.77, math/chem major​
MCAT 513 (126/129/129/129)​
VA resident, white & mexican (I speak conversational spanish)​
ECs:​
  • ~1000 hrs research, 1 pub, 4 posters, another poster and another pub on the way
  • 200 hrs clinical volunteering; 150 hrs non-clinical with more on the way (was a geriatric caregiver, ran a FIRST lego league team for underserved girls in my neighborhood, worked as a community gardener, am starting at Crisis Text Line)
  • 50 hrs shadowing
  • A couple of clubs but nothing major; had a leadership position in one
  • Have been steadily employed since 2012 in various jobs, usually 2-3 at once (hence why I have low volunteer and shadow hours; research pays lol), will be getting a clinical job during my gap year
    • spent most of that time as a theater & art teacher, audio technician, and rec center lifeguard/supervisor; have been a math TA and research assistant for the last year
Obviously, my mission fit is way better for research. I don't anticipate getting a lot of love from rural schools. Current specialty interests are primary care, peds, and psychiatry.

Most important thing is I want to stay regional. I love Virginia and would rather not leave.

School list

MD schools:
  • VA: UVA, VCU, VT Carilion, EVMS
  • WV: WVU
  • DC: GWU (I have ties to the school - I do research with a professor there and she's writing one of my letters)
  • MD: UMD
  • PA: Drexel, Sidney Kimmel, Geisinger Commonwealth, Temple, Penn State
  • NJ: Cooper Rowan
  • NC: Wake Forest, UNC-Chapel Hill (hoping my stats and research keep this from being too much of a reach school)
Am also considering adding USC-Columbia, but I know that's a reach.

DO schools:
  • VA: VCOM
  • WV: WVSOM
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Made a list and got feedback from r/premed, now would really appreciate additional eyes on the updated version!

Quick stats

sGPA 3.73, cGPA 3.77, math/chem major​
MCAT 513 (126/129/129/129)​
VA resident, white & mexican (I speak conversational spanish)​
ECs:​
  • ~1000 hrs research, 1 pub, 4 posters, another poster and another pub on the way
  • 200 hrs clinical volunteering; 150 hrs non-clinical with more on the way (was a geriatric caregiver, ran a FIRST lego league team for underserved girls in my neighborhood, worked as a community gardener, am starting at Crisis Text Line)
  • 50 hrs shadowing
  • A couple of clubs but nothing major; had a leadership position in one
  • Have been steadily employed since 2012 in various jobs, usually 2-3 at once (hence why I have low volunteer and shadow hours; research pays lol), will be getting a clinical job during my gap year
    • spent most of that time as a theater & art teacher, audio technician, and rec center lifeguard/supervisor; have been a math TA and research assistant for the last year
Obviously, my mission fit is way better for research. I don't anticipate getting a lot of love from rural schools. Current specialty interests are primary care, peds, and psychiatry.

Most important thing is I want to stay regional. I love Virginia and would rather not leave.

School list

MD schools:
  • VA: UVA, VCU, VT Carilion, EVMS
  • WV: WVU
  • DC: GWU (I have ties to the school - I do research with a professor there and she's writing one of my letters)
  • MD: UMD
  • PA: Drexel, Sidney Kimmel, Geisinger Commonwealth, Temple, Penn State
  • NJ: Cooper Rowan
  • NC: Wake Forest, UNC-Chapel Hill (hoping my stats and research keep this from being too much of a reach school)
Am also considering adding USC-Columbia, but I know that's a reach.

DO schools:
  • VA: VCOM
  • WV: WVSOM
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
You're placing your research in a little higher priority than many of your schools are. It's important but not that much.

Have you done recruitment visits or fairs involving the Virginia medical schools? I presume you know the students all eventually rotate around the state regardless. Some have satellite locations I think as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You're placing your research in a little higher priority than many of your schools are. It's important but not that much.

Have you done recruitment visits or fairs involving the Virginia medical schools? I presume you know the students all eventually rotate around the state regardless. Some have satellite locations I think as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Yeah, I know I'm research-heavy. Like I said, research is the thing that I could get paid to do - and since I'm in school, it's a lot more flexible with my schedule than clinical work is. It definitely unbalances my application. Is there a way I can change my school list to accommodate that given my regional preferences and my stats?

I've visited a couple of schools and particularly I've done some of my volunteering in hospitals students rotate through, so I'm aware that students from all of the VA schools make it around the state eventually.

Yeah, I know I'm research-heavy. Like I said, research is the thing that I could get paid to do - and since I'm in school, it's a lot more flexible with my schedule than clinical work is. It definitely unbalances my application. Is there a way I can change my school list to accommodate that given my regional preferences and my stats?

I've visited a couple of schools and particularly I've done some of my volunteering in hospitals students rotate through, so I'm aware that students from all of the VA schools make it around the state eventually.
In my opinion, applying regionally is a good strategy and I don't think you should change that approach. It just depends on how wide you want to cast your net, especially if you have visited the schools most convenient to you.

In my opinion, applying regionally is a good strategy and I don't think you should change that approach. It just depends on how wide you want to cast your net, especially if you have visited the schools most convenient to you.

Thanks so much for the feedback!