WAMC? First-Time Applicant, Average Academics/DAT, Volunteer/Community Service Heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predent.42

Reaction score
Date of submission: 7/13
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6
DAT score:
AA: 19
TS: 19
RC: 20
QR: 17
PAT:18
Bio: 20
OC: 20
GC: 18

Undergrad Attended: Utah Valley University
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 250 hours in-Person at 3 different general dentist offices.
Volunteering Experience: 600 Hours. Tutoring, Homeless shelter, Church service mission, local Item removal/rehome service, bicycle restoration and donation, Boys and Girls Club after-school tutoring.
Employment: 4,000+ hours. HS Boys Basketball coach, Door-to-door sales, customer service, package warehouse.
Research: 100 hours of research in Mycology and Occlusal Development. No publications (yet)
Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; JuCo Basketball player, Student Body representative, ADEA GoDental fair in Portland OR, Gordon J. Christensen future of dentistry seminar.
Relevant Honors or Awards: BSA Eagle Scout, Dean's List, SAC Research grant, High-Honors AS degree.
LOR type and strength: 2 Science professors, 2 General Dentists. All Strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No major Red Flags
School list:
-ASDOH
-MOSDOH
-Creighton
-USC
-WesternU
-Loma Linda
-UOP
-Midwestern-AZ
-Ohio St
-VCU
-Kentucky
-Louisville
-Indiana
-Roseman
-KCU
-LECOM
-Marquette

*Please share any ideas of other schools I should consider applying to! Thank you for your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

State residency (confirm if it's Utah)? What's the gap between bachelor's degree and now? What impressed you about the schools you met at the ADEA Recruitment Fair and how does that relate to your list? There seem to be a lot of schools on your list.

Last edited:
Date of submission: 7/13
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.7
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6
DAT score:
AA: 19
TS: 19
RC: 20
QR: 17
PAT:18
Bio: 20
OC: 20
GC: 18

Undergrad Attended: Utah Valley University
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 250 hours in-Person at 3 different general dentist offices.
Volunteering Experience: 600 Hours. Tutoring, Homeless shelter, Church service mission, local Item removal/rehome service, bicycle restoration and donation, Boys and Girls Club after-school tutoring.
Employment: 4,000+ hours. HS Boys Basketball coach, Door-to-door sales, customer service, package warehouse.
Research: 100 hours of research in Mycology and Occlusal Development. No publications (yet)
Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; JuCo Basketball player, Student Body representative, ADEA GoDental fair in Portland OR, Gordon J. Christensen future of dentistry seminar.
Relevant Honors or Awards: BSA Eagle Scout, Dean's List, SAC Research grant, High-Honors AS degree.
LOR type and strength: 2 Science professors, 2 General Dentists. All Strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No major Red Flags
School list:
-ASDOH
-MOSDOH
-Creighton
-USC
-WesternU
-Loma Linda
-UOP
-Midwestern-AZ
-Ohio St
-VCU
-Kentucky
-Louisville
-Indiana
-Roseman
-KCU
-LECOM
-Marquette

*Please share any ideas of other schools I should consider applying to! Thank you for your thoughts
why these schools?
-Ohio St
-VCU
-Kentucky
-Louisville
-Indiana
-KCU
-LECOM
-Marquette

Members don't see this ad :)
why these schools?
-Ohio St
-VCU
-Kentucky
-Louisville
-Indiana
-KCU
-LECOM
-Marquette
My pre-dent advisor has recommended most of these schools. I have also met with admission counselors from each of these schools and they have done presentations to the pre-dental group at my undergrad. Great programs with missions and values that I feel I align well with.

Last edited:
State residency (confirm if it's Utah)? What's the gap between bachelor's degree and now? What impressed you about the schools you met at the ADEA Recruitment Fair and how does that relate to your list? There seem to be a lot of schools on your list.
Yes, Utah Resident. I grew up and went to High School in California but have UT residency since starting my undergrad.
I will finish my bachelors in May 2024.
I was impressed with these school's mission and values as well as how well I was able to connect to their representative.

My pre-dent advisor has recommended most of these schools. I have also met with admission counselors from each of these schools and they have done presentations to the pre-dental group at my undergrad. Great programs with missions and values that I feel I align well with.
i commend your pre-dental advisor for connecting you with that many schools, however, there are many more schools that are closer and more likely to accept someone from utah...

Great programs with missions and values that I feel I align well with.
You don't have to go into detail here, but how do they live up to their values? How do you know after talking with students? What is your ultimate goal?

Have you considered Colorado?

i commend your pre-dental advisor for connecting you with that many schools, however, there are many more schools that are closer and more likely to accept someone from utah...
Thanks! Do you have any other specific recommendations that would show interest in my application which are not already included in my list?

Thanks! Do you have any other specific recommendations that would show interest in my application which are not already included in my list?
what makes you a non-traditional applicant?

I am 26 yrs old and had a 2 1/2 year gap out of high school
ok, cool, that can be a bonus
what did you do during that time?

i find it interesting that your school has such a huge pre-dental budget that they can have two predental advisors and bring in so many schools from all over the country, yet they did not inform you that the two nearest states to utah have dental schools, nor did they teach you that your GPA and DAT scores are not "average" (3.55, 20.5)

your school list at 17 is broad and diverse (your biggest reach school is UOP, and secondarily OSU), i would be hesitant to recommend many more schools...

You don't have to go into detail here, but how do they live up to their values? How do you know after talking with students? What is your ultimate goal?
i am curious to hear this too...

Knowing the advisor, I'm certain the nearer schools have recruited on campus too. He does a fantastic job. Historically the Utah schools have exported dozens of students to dental schools until the Utah dental schools (and other western dental schools) were built. The relationships have been there for a long time.

Thus my questions are to help the OP narrow down that list. It's our job in admissions to make you think we're the best school for you, so you have to do the homework and manage your application budget. I am curious on your family input on where you want to learn and ultimately practice.

Yeah! Well, I actually am most interested in the program's service and community outreach. I have an interest in public health and most of these schools focus on primary care and serving rural communities. I've also visited a couple of the campuses and spoken to students. School culture is another big factor for me and the schools that are inclusive, supportive, and less competitive are most attractive. My ultimate goal is to be a GP in an underserved area/community. I'd also like to avoid the need of an AEGD.