WAMC: First Time Applicant, C/O 2028 Hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justforfun1221

Reaction score
Hello SDN! I am a 21F first-time applicant, graduating this spring with an Animal Sciences degree. I am applying to 14 schools (I know this is a lot, but I am hoping to get in somewhere on my first try!) My primary interest is large animal med (food animal & equine,) specifically therio/repro! I know some of my schools are reaches, but I am okay with that! I saved up money to apply to these and know I won’t get into every school.

Schools applying to:
In-State: UPenn
OOS: Midwestern, Western, Virginia-Maryland, Mississippi, Purdue, Tennessee, Michigan State, NC State, Colorado State, St. Georges, UC Davis, Ohio State & Wisconsin

Top 6 (but I will be happy anywhere!): Penn, CSU, NC State, Virginia-Maryland, Western & Mississippi

GPA:
Overall: 3.6 (will most likely be closer to 3.7 by the end of fall sem)
Prerequisite: 3.5-4.0 depending on what each school considers
Science GPA: 3.65
Last 45: 3.6ish

Vet Experience: Mostly from shadowing, but shadowed at a range of places. I think this is a weak spot in my application as so many have >1000 hrs.
Total: ~600, will be closer to 700/800 by the end of summer

Small Animal: ~150 shadowing at different clinics
Food Animal: ~150 shadowing & veterinary supervised skills clinics
Equine: ~300 shadowing & veterinary skills clinics or teaching vet science camps with my vets

Animal Experience:
Total: ~6500 hours
Worked on a large animal farm (goats, sheep, horses), paid pet sitter (dogs/cats) & 4-H involvement

Research:
-GEMS: Was an undergrad researcher on a “Girls Excelling in Math and Sciences” project where I helped formulate lessons & teach science concepts to 3rd-5th grades in specifically low income areas
-World Food Prize: Named a National Borlaug Scholar for completing food insecurity research on animal health as a factor to support food security for Bolivian small hold farming communities (presented at my local WFP day and qualified to present at the national level one)

Other involvements:
-Worked for 3 years at my schools academic success center
-Served as President and VP for both a goat and horse 4-H club
-Founded and was president of a Me Too organization at my university that now has over 5000 followers and 100 active members
-New York Times ambassador
-Sorority member & served as academic chair
-Customer service experience: worked a summer as a summer conference coordinator for the university

Members don't see this ad.

IMO I would cut UC Davis because they don’t take mid gpa candidates usually for OOS. I’d also cut NC State because they only take about 20 OOS applicants. CSU is a crapshoot so you could apply there. You’d have a good shot at Mississippi state and the others. Virgina Maryland is essay heavy so have a great essay. MSU requires all science prereqs to be done. Purdue and Tennessee might be iffy on gpa but I think you have a chance. Ohio, Wisco, and western and midwestern should be well within your application range.

Definitely work on getting more vet hours and write a bomb essay

Reactions: 1 user
IMO I would cut UC Davis because they don’t take mid gpa candidates usually for OOS. I’d also cut NC State because they only take about 20 OOS applicants. CSU is a crapshoot so you could apply there. You’d have a good shot at Mississippi state and the others. Virgina Maryland is essay heavy so have a great essay. MSU requires all science prereqs to be done. Purdue and Tennessee might be iffy on gpa but I think you have a chance. Ohio, Wisco, and western and midwestern should be well within your application range.

Definitely work on getting more vet hours and write a bomb essay
Thank you for the input! That is about what I was expecting. I feel incredible about my essays, honestly. I was an english major at the beginning of college, and am having lots of people read them & provide feedback. Additionally, I am not very attached to UC Davis! I'm applying to NC State knowing it is 1000% a big reach and I probably won't get in. It's my "take a chance" because I love it school. I appreciate this!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are interested in adding a school to your list and have not looked at Mizzou, they would be a good option! Similar in program type to Mississippi with the 2+2 and MU has a strong equine caseload! You are in the range of GPA's they like for stats. They are also fond of non vet med related experience, anything that shows your a real person and can be one outside of vet med. Showcase your essays for all schools, and especially your leadership and research for Mizzou.

Going along with what Honey said, nix Davis and go guns a blazin with CSU as ya never know. They had over 4k applicants this past cycle so it was super competitive. Wisconsin (coming from an IS) May be a reach but I'd say go for it! This whole process is a game and honestly you just gotta roll the dice and cross your fingers 😅.

Best of luck!! ❤️

If you are interested in adding a school to your list and have not looked at Mizzou, they would be a good option! Similar in program type to Mississippi with the 2+2 and MU has a strong equine caseload! You are in the range of GPA's they like for stats. They are also fond of non vet med related experience, anything that shows your a real person and can be one outside of vet med. Showcase your essays for all schools, and especially your leadership and research for Mizzou.

Going along with what Honey said, nix Davis and go guns a blazin with CSU as ya never know. They had over 4k applicants this past cycle so it was super competitive. Wisconsin (coming from an IS) May be a reach but I'd say go for it! This whole process is a game and honestly you just gotta roll the dice and cross your fingers 😅.

Best of luck!! ❤️
Hello!
Thank you so much for this input. I have cut UC Davis. I wasn’t that attached to it, and you all are right about it being unrealistic as an OOS! I also hear CSU is a shot in the dark for everyone. Truthfully, I’m happy anywhere since all of those programs are appealing to me.
I’ll 100% look into Mizzou!