WAMC + Gap year advice? 3.80cGPA/520 ORM (MCAT Retake)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

respiir-ati0

Reaction score
hi everyone... I will be graduating and taking my first (and hopefully only gap year) before I apply this may. my "completed" hours are calculated as what I already have completed, and "projected" is from now until matriculation in August of 2025. pls feel free to give any other comments and constructive advice because I am super stressed about my MCAT retake stats lol.

1. cGPA and sGPA: B.S biology - 3.80 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA.
    MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 495 (125/122/123/125) -> 520 (132/128/128/132) .... yeah, I took my first one unprepared. I think this is probably the worst part of my application but I am hoping the retake is good enough to prove that I am capable :/
    State of residence: FL for university, grew up in NC

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) TOTAL HOURS: 2150
  2. Research experience and productivity TOTAL HOURS: 700
  3. Shadowing experience and specialties represented TOTAL HOURS: 150
  4. Non-clinical volunteering TOTAL HOURS: ~3000
  5. Other extracurricular activities:
    • Strong LORs:
      • 2 science from professors I TAed upper division science courses for
      • 1 non-science professor in the arts
      • 1 physician (MD)
      • 1 non-clinical volunteering
      • 1 research (MD)
      • 1 employment (non-clinical job)
my PS is very tied into my heritage and I have a very specific why medicine tied to my own childhood illness. I think overall my application has a pretty good overarching theme but I would love any sort of feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Miami
USF Morsani
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Tulane
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Western Michigan
Georgetown
U Virginia
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Yale

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Miami
USF Morsani
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Tulane
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Western Michigan
Georgetown
U Virginia
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Yale
thank you faha! do you have any suggestions re: weaknesses in my app????

Last edited:
Given what you disclosed, the only issue I see will be your mission fit. I trust you know what it is without having to disclose more if you are uncomfortable doing so. I will presume Casper and PREview will be fine.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Given what you disclosed, the only issue I see will be your mission fit. I trust you know what it is without having to disclose more if you are uncomfortable doing so. I will presume Casper and PREview will be fine.
Do you mean mission fit as in my personal statement tied into my activities/creating a narrative that fits schools? I am moreso concerned about if I am a "fit" for service oriented schools.

Do you mean mission fit as in my personal statement tied into my activities/creating a narrative that fits schools? I am moreso concerned about if I am a "fit" for service oriented schools.

Right now, I see lots of activities with children when you aren't in a clinical setting. That's okay though most applicants tend to lean on activities with children or teens (disadvantaged or not).