WAMC/gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SixthBill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply this year, but increase your breadth of programs... For example, consider UT system institutions. It seems that you are interested in Pharmacology. Examine this resource: http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2015/Pharmacology_2015.xls
PM me if you want to discuss further offline.

For MD/PhD, you have enough EC's, and sufficient research. Keep in mind that even if you apply in June, by the time that you are done, you will have 2.5 years of research plus at least a manuscript. You have a chance for the programs that you are looking at.

Fencer is the expert here, but I would just add that if you are considering a gap year, you'll be in good company -- the majority of people who I came across on the interview trail this past application cycle were on gap years. I'm a strong advocate for gap years simply because I think that it is often worthwhile to take a year or two off of school to clarify your goals/interests before embarking on the 8-year adventure that is an MD/PhD program; you won't get another opportunity to do so for a long time!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice!

Well I just found out today the paper won't be out until the the fall. Will that do much to my chances?

Here is the list I'm tentatively thinking right now:

for MD/PhD:
Duke (too much of a reach?)
UCSD
University of Colorado Denver
UTSW
Baylor
UT-Houston
UTHSCSA
University of Alabama Birmingham

More suggestions? I think I'm interested in bioengineering with possible neurological or orthopedic applications, but not set on that by any means.

for non MD/PhD:
All Texas med schools (since I'm a Texas resident)