WAMC? Generic app, but relatively high MCAT trying to go OOS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aharon1010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to go OOS

Some stats:

Computer Science Major, minors in Math and Physics- Texas resident, White Male
39 MCAT (15 PS, 12VR, 12BS)
3.83 cGPA, 3.68 sGPA ( Upper level physics lowered it a little :(... )

ECs and Accolades:

-250 hours volunteering (clinical)
- ~40 (like 44 lol, but I'm going to round down to a cleaner number. I'd rather shadow 4 hours less than inflate) hours shadowing (kinda abrupt, and awkward, but my physician temporarily closed his clinic to handle some personal problems, so I kinda didn't get to finish. I was planning on hitting 100 hours.
-4 years as an English tutor at various learning centers (Kumon, local CC, my Uni, etc.)
-Volunteered at events like Women's Society for Engineers (events were geared at bringing like middle school and HS women into the engineering department, inspiring them, etc), Calculus Bowl, Science & Engineering festivals, Elementary Science Fairs, School District Parties for end of academic year for elementary kids, Did Pro Bono music and video production for HS graduations for 2 years
-Founder and President of Art Club at my Uni
-Jewish Society member for 2 years (1 semester member, 1 semester as VP, 1 year as President)
-2nd place at math competition on campus
-NIH scholarship for computational biology research (did a summer at Bethesda, no publication, was programming slave)
-I've attended 4 computational biology conferences with a professor over the course of 3 years, presented in 2, won an official award at one of those 2

Personal Statement: I'm Jewish, and I was actually born in Israel. PS is about needing serious physical rehab to use the left side of my body as a kid as a result of a a missile attack in the ongoing conflict. I'm very neutral in the political side of things in the PS though, more geared towards medical.

LORs:

1) Professor of Computational Biology, I took C Programming, Discrete Structures, Digital Logic, and a graduate level Assembly Language with him as an elective. He's the guy I go to conferences with. I've known him for 3 years. He's very, very respected internationally for his research. He's on the chair for a lot of computational biology review journals. He reviews anywhere from 50-150 research papers a year while holding a chair position and researching. A quick Google search from any medical school will definitely pop eyes. Super lucky I'm under his wing.

2) Calculus II professor. I also took him for Calculus III in the summer. He immigrated from Mozambique and has HIV. He let me see the LOR and it talks about how I'm mature, have leadership, and as someone who is suffering from an ailment, he'd want a doctor like me responsible for his treatment.

3) Biology II professor. To be honest, it's kind of generic and he doesn't know me too much. I needed a life sciences professor.

4) Ochem I professor. He's a good friend. We play online chess against each other. We've had a back and forth series going on for 2 years.

School List:

(Texas):
Schools I'm aggressively trying to get into-

UT Southwestern
Baylor

Safeties-

University of Houston
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech
UT Galveston

(California)
Reaches because of preference for IS:

UCLA
USC
UCSD
UCI

(Other)
Some are reaches, some are places that I've researched and that I've liked:

UChicago
Northwestern
NYU
Duke
Dartmouth
Yale
Columbia

I'm worried lack of research will hurt, especially at my reach schools. It's bad timing on my part, but I'm actually starting research in 2 weeks with one professor at TCOMM (visiting my parents this summer and it's nearby), and I have a commitment to do research with another professor at my uni this Fall. However, by the time of the fall, I'll already have my app submitted.

EDIT: To be honest, USC is my top choice overall, and on their website, they want to evaluate "the level of achievement and knowledge in science at the time of application".
By the time of "application", I'll have (assuming we're only worried about Bio and Chem):
*Bio I & II
*Genetics
*Human Physiology
*Immunology
*Ochem I and II
I plan on taking Biochem I and II the Summer and Spring of my last year...but it'll be too late. Oh, and I haven't taken the official labs yet either. I'll be taking Lab I in the fall and Lab II in the spring....you think that'll give me some problems?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd cut UCI (Mission specific school which you don't fit as an OOS applicant) and UCLA/UCSD will be very difficult as OOS with no research. I'd nix Duke as well (They are extremely research heavy; they dedicate an entire year of school to scholarly pursuits).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd cut UCI (Mission specific school which you don't fit as an OOS applicant) and UCLA/UCSD will be very difficult as OOS with no research. I'd nix Duke as well (They are extremely research heavy; they dedicate an entire year of school to scholarly pursuits).

What about IS like UTSW and Baylor? What are the chances of those?

Also besides Duke, are any of the OOS non CA reaches viable in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should apply to USC, UC's not so much. And I don't know much about UTSW and Baylor other than they're great schools.

Have you really looked at the cost difference between a TX school and OOS? If you're not paying, it may not be much of an issue, and with your qualifications, you have a decent shot at having cash thrown your way. But if you're paying for medical school yourself with loans, the monthly difference in your loan payments could easily be $2,500 per month for 10 years. For whatever it's worth to you...

Note that I believe most TX students suffer from a anti-TX bias resulting directly from the cost difference. In other words, since Baylor costs you ~$40,000 less per year than Northwestern (roughly - have not checked recently), Northwestern knows they'll have to throw ~$40,000 your way to get you to choose them. (There aren't that many schools that are flat-out better than UTSW and Baylor.) But you appear to be qualified enough that it could happen. Good luck and best wishes to you.

How open is USC to OOS applicants?
It's a private school. They have no preference for IS applicants, but since all CA applicants apply to all the CA schools and the majority still have to leave CA there is a superabundance of qualified candidates from within the state who choose to matriculate.

Good list, but you will need research with this lot. Your stats look great, and I'd hate to see you get shot down because of the lack of research. So get into the lab ASAP, and apply with the best possible packet. Suggest also considering U VA, U MI, Cornell, Pitt, Rochester, Loyola, U AZ, U CO, BU, Mt Sinai, Wash U, JHU,Einstein, U Penn, U Miami and Emory.

UT Southwestern
Baylor
University of Houston
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech
UT Galveston
UCLA
USC
UCSD

UChicago
Northwestern
NYU
Duke
Dartmouth
Yale
Columbia

Good list, but you will need research with this lot. Your stats look great, and I'd hate to see you get shot down because of the lack of research. So get into the lab ASAP, and apply with the best possible packet. Suggest also considering U VA, U MI, Cornell, Pitt, Rochester, Loyola, U AZ, U CO, BU, Mt Sinai, Wash U, JHU,Einstein, U Penn, U Miami and Emory.

UT Southwestern
Baylor
University of Houston
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech
UT Galveston
UCLA
USC
UCSD

UChicago
Northwestern
NYU
Duke
Dartmouth
Yale
Columbia

I tried to abstain from JHU because of that "30% from Harvard, 30% from Yale, we're one of the worlds most classic medical institutions, so if you're not jaw dropping, applicants need not apply". A little of that in UPenn, too. I understand my MCAT is strong, and my LORS pack a punch, but I never had gunner qualities...I go to a public school in Texas. You're very qualified in this and have solid ethos from what I've heard, you think those schools are a shot?

I tried shooting for a lowier tier Ivy like Dartmouth, but do you think UPenn and Cornell are within viable reach? I don't have anything in my opinion that sets me apart like mission trips, etc. I was sort of banking on the notion of getting in to a reach school (with respect to probability) by getting an interview offer more on a prospective admissions letter. I believe my background as club president and a computer science major have sharpened my abilities of speaking well and coherence/logic...that's the "secret weapon" I think I have, but I don't know if its enough for JHU/UPENN

Hey, if they don't want you, Baylor and UTSW would more than be happy to have you.

Your numbers are sure in the calibre of JHU and their ilk.

I tried to abstain from JHU because of that "30% from Harvard, 30% from Yale, we're one of the worlds most classic medical institutions, so if you're not jaw dropping, applicants need not apply". A little of that in UPenn, too. I understand my MCAT is strong, and my LORS pack a punch, but I never had gunner qualities...I go to a public school in Texas. You're very qualified in this and have solid ethos from what I've heard, you think those schools are a shot?

I tried shooting for a lowier tier Ivy like Dartmouth, but do you think UPenn and Cornell are within viable reach? I don't have anything in my opinion that sets me apart like mission trips, etc. I was sort of banking on the notion of getting in to a reach school (with respect to probability) by getting an interview offer more on a prospective admissions letter. I believe my background as club president and a computer science major have sharpened my abilities of speaking well and coherence/logic...that's the "secret weapon" I think I have, but I don't know if its enough for JHU/UPENN

I think you may be thinking of UCR. UCI does not offer IS preference. I double-checked with their admissions office last year to confirm. Same story with UCLA. However, both emphasize research, so they may be something of a reach for the OP.

OP - Goro's suggestions look solid. You will almost certainly land an acceptance OOS this year if that is what you desire. TX does have some fantastic schools, though, so definitely keep an open mind about staying close to home.

Good luck!

-Bill

I think you may be thinking of UCR. UCI does not offer IS preference. I double-checked with their admissions office last year to confirm. Same story with UCLA. However, both emphasize research, so they may be something of a reach for the OP.

OP - Goro's suggestions look solid. You will almost certainly land an acceptance OOS this year if that is what you desire. TX does have some fantastic schools, though, so definitely keep an open mind about staying close to home.

Good luck!

-Bill
UCR and UCI are both mission specific schools (They just serve different locales within Southern California). UCLA has no IS preference, but with no research it will be a tall order getting in as OOS.