WAMC? GPA 3.7/3.6; MCAT 517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted971401

Hi, I need just general feedback on my school list - if there any i should just totally take off or schools that would be helpful to add. I plan on applying MD and DO but for DO the only schools I def want to apply to are PCOM and PCOM GA. I'm mostly looking on feedback on my MD list. I have some that are def reaches like UCSF/Brown but those are for the heck of it. I'm not opposed to applying to more. I know my GPA is on the lower side for many of these schools

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

cPA: 3.7 sGPA: 3.6. My major was biomedical engineering.

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 517: 130/128/129/130

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) : GA

Ethnicity and/or race: Asian - Indian

Undergraduate institution or category: Public STEM focused school

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)

Scribe at Children's ER: 1000 hours (ongoing)

Hospital volunteering in outpatient surgery unit: 100 hours (ongoing)

Research experience and productivity

Neuroengineering research lab (ongoing) - 3 years, 1 poster, working on publication at the moment. (2000+ hours).

Shadowing experience and specialties represented

30 hours - Pediatric Endocrinology

10 hours of various online shadowing sessions

Non-clinical volunteering:

Crisis text line: 250 hours (ongoing) - working as peer support volunteer on the platform as well

Food kitchen volunteering: 50 hours (this was like one hour a week here and there)

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • Paid engineering internship working at stroke device startup for one semester (worked directly with stroke patients in acclimating them to the device) - 6 months
  • BME Student advisory board ( 3 years, was chair my final year): work with faculty and students to make changes in the department
  • Social media chair for health and well-being committee in student government for 2 semesters
  • TA for intro BME design course for one semester
Relevant honors or awards
  • President Undergraduate Research Award
School list:

Emory

Medical college of georgia

Mercer

Morehouse

Albert Einstein

Hofstra

George Washington

Temple

U of Miami

U of Pitt

Western Michigan

Carle Illinois

Eastern Virginia

Indiana

NOVA MD

OSU

SUNY downstate

UCSF

UMich

UNC

UVA

WF

VCU

Kaiser

Mt sinai

Brown

Case western

NYU LI

NY Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Morehouse is an HBCU. Some of the other schools on your list take few students from out of the state. Subtract 50 hours from your scribing and put it under shadowing for that speciality on AMCAS. Try to gain additional hours at a food bank/soup kitchen till you hit 100+.

I suggest:

Emory
Mercer
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
George Washington
Temple
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
U of Pitt
Western Michigan
Carle Illinois
Eastern Virginia
OSU
UVA
WF
VCU
Kaiser
Mt sinai
Brown
Case western
Dartmouth
Saint Louis
Creighton
Vermont
Colorado
Iowa
Tufts

Reactions: 1 users
Morehouse is an HBCU. Some of the other schools on your list take few students from out of the state. Subtract 50 hours from your scribing and put it under shadowing for that speciality on AMCAS. Try to gain additional hours at a food bank/soup kitchen till you hit 100+.

I suggest:

Emory
Mercer
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
George Washington
Temple
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
U of Pitt
Western Michigan
Carle Illinois
Eastern Virginia
OSU
UVA
WF
VCU
Kaiser
Mt sinai
Brown
Case western
Dartmouth
Saint Louis
Creighton
Vermont
Colorado
Iowa
Tufts
Thanks. Some of my asian friends have been accepted to Morehouse, I think I will keep it on the list. I was concerned about schools like tufts as I know they really value volunteer hours.

Thanks. Some of my asian friends have been accepted to Morehouse, I think I will keep it on the list. I was concerned about schools like tufts as I know they really value volunteer hours.
Morehouse is likely to value service to underserved communities more than Tufts. For all schools, it would be good to gain additional volunteer hours though.

Reactions: 1 users