MD WAMC - GPA 3.8, MCAT 504

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCPMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a similar mcat problem. 130/123/124/127/504.

Will our cars scores get us screened out?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply DOs also, but if you are set on MD I would just retake the MCAT and focus on CARS while at least maintaining your other sections.

A 122 CARS score can easily raised to a 126, beyond that it gets a lot harder.

What do you mean by easily raised? I found that section to be very difficult. I did all of the CARS QPacks and 10 practice exams and my scores didn't change at all. It didn't seem to click for me like the other sections.

I meant that going from (122) 25th percentile to (126) 74th percentile is doable and should be within reach. By making some basic changes to your strategy you can see huge increases that will net you those few extra points. 127+ is going to rely more on innate ability and you will see diminishing returns from just applying basic strategies. That being said I scored a 124 in CARS so I understand how hard it is to raise it, but looking back I would have definitely gone with a tutor to get those extra 1-2 points.

You don't need to get a 128+ to have a good score in this section since it has the most competitive curve breakdown. Every score in CARS is worth a higher percentage point than the same score in other sections: 125 in CARS is 62% while 125 is only 55% in P/S. There's a reason why almost all med schools have verbal at a point lower than B/B and C/P as their accepted 10th percentile subsection on MSAR.

Last edited:
You could add New York Medical College, Vermont, Western Michigan. Are you applying to DO schools also?

If vermont's 10th percentile mcat on msar is a 29, is it still safe to apply there with a 504? I'm in similar position as OP but with 127/124/125/128 breakdown