WAMC - help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alcandezw

Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Itemize your 500+ hours of non-clinical volunteering, and break out the hours that you are claiming as "leadership" compared to direct interaction and involvement with other community members (not your student peers or other members of clubs you are involved in).

On your original question about your CARS score... I presume with your GPA you've had a fair number of reading-intensive courses? What did you take (because you got A's in those classes) and how much reading was involved?

Are you a first-generation student growing up in a non-native English speaking household?

Why are you "brand school" material? With your posters and thesis accomplishments, and you'll likely be PBK, why don't you pursue a PhD?

What is your state of legal residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
also happen to be from an area (NJ/ NYC) with a handful of higher-ranking schools and I'd love to be close to home for my medical school education.
That explains the lack of personal transportation, but NYC also has opportunities for service orientation activities that I'm sure you can get to without a car. I'm guessing you would want to apply within the metro area so you don't have to get a car to get around as you would in many other locations. So you need to show you know what the other millions of people in NYC want help with when it comes to social determinants of health.

You NNES household explains your low CARS score, but your grades in reading-intensive non-science coursework tell a different story in that you can hold your own in humanities or social science coursework that you will ultimately need for medical school.

Does having parents with grad degrees earned in the US (?) also have anything to do with your perspective on Ph.D's, by chance?

That explains the lack of personal transportation, but NYC also has opportunities for service orientation activities that I'm sure you can get to without a car. I'm guessing you would want to apply within the metro area so you don't have to get a car to get around as you would in many other locations. So you need to show you know what the other millions of people in NYC want help with when it comes to social determinants of health.

You NNES household explains your low CARS score, but your grades in reading-intensive non-science coursework tell a different story in that you can hold your own in humanities or social science coursework that you will ultimately need for medical school.

Does having parents with grad degrees earned in the US (?) also have anything to do with your perspective on Ph.D's, by chance?
Thank you for your feedback! Not really haha my father holds PhD in chemistry but my mother's graduate degree was for business. I'm just super fortunate to be in a lab that works closely with other labs run by MD/PhDs and have MSTP students in my lab so I gained a decent understanding of the differences between all the career choices :)

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester