WAMC/Help with school list: Virginia resident (3.607 cGPA/3.5 sGPA, 503 MCAT) URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocotaco683

Reaction score
Please help with school list!
Open to both MD & DO schools

1. 3.607 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA
  2. 503 MCAT (124/126/126/127)
  3. Virginia resident
  4. African-American Male
  5. State undergrad
  6. ~2100 hours as hemodialysis technician (non-volunteer)
  7. ~2500 hours in undergrad research lab for 4 years (2 first author posters at national conferences, 1 symposium talk, 1 first author pub in the works)
  8. 30 hours shadowing pediatrics
  9. ~100 hours volunteering at homeless shelter
  10. 1200 hours as co-founder, vice president, and president of student organization over three years
  11. 500 hours working at family small business
  12. Dean's list
  13. Hobby: Road trips
School list so far:
MD

VCU
Virginia Tech
UVA
EVMS
Howard
Georgetown
George Washington
WVU
New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
NYU Long Island
Wake Forest
Duke (reach)
Morehouse
Meharry
UPitt (reach)
Drexel
Temple
Rosalind Franklin

DO
VCOM
NYIT
PCOM
University of New England

Would like to increase my DO school list and know if I should remove or add any schools. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take off Pitt and Duke. You can add in Charles Drew University that opened up last year. UNE tends to focus on applicants from the Northeast.

For DO:

Add:
DMU
Campbell
Marian
ACOM
WCU
Touro NV
KCU
KCOM (Kirksville)

Reactions: 1 user
Also, from my personal take, NYU Long Island should be removed since it’s also way too much of a reach.

For DO, make sure to do to follow chilly_md’s list, make sure to have these campuses:
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)
NYITCOM (both campuses)
PCOM (all campuses)

You should expect several DO II’s, and perhaps some MD II’s

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Duke but I have seen URM applicants with your stats accepted at Pittsburgh. You could add these schools:
Charles Drew
Vermont
NOVA MD
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana

Be aware of any schools requiring or requesting Casper or PREview. Nitpicking criticism: a few more hours at the homeless shelter (+50 more) will strengthen your application.

503 MCAT may be a little challenging for Georgetown and George Washington given the volume of their applicant pool, so network with students at those programs to gauge whether you have a shot with your profile. Do the same with your in-state options.

Remove Duke but I have seen URM applicants with your stats accepted at Pittsburgh. You could add these schools:
Charles Drew
Vermont
NOVA MD
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana

Charles Drew
Vermont
NOVA MD
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana

Thank you I appreciate it!

I would take off Pitt and Duke. You can add in Charles Drew University that opened up last year. UNE tends to focus on applicants from the Northeast.

For DO:

Add:
DMU
Campbell
Marian
ACOM
WCU
Touro NV
KCU
KCOM (Kirksville)

Thank you!

Also, from my personal take, NYU Long Island should be removed since it’s also way too much of a reach.

For DO, make sure to do to follow chilly_md’s list, make sure to have these campuses:
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)
NYITCOM (both campuses)
PCOM (all campuses)

You should expect several DO II’s, and perhaps some MD II’s

Thanks!

Be aware of any schools requiring or requesting Casper or PREview. Nitpicking criticism: a few more hours at the homeless shelter (+50 more) will strengthen your application.

503 MCAT may be a little challenging for Georgetown and George Washington given the volume of their applicant pool, so network with students at those programs to gauge whether you have a shot with your profile. Do the same with your in-state options.

Ok got it. Thank you!