WAMC: I really just have no idea: 504, c3.96, s3.89/3,95

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1140515

AMCAS GPA: c:3.96 s: 3.89 //AACOMAS GPA: c:3.96 s: 3.95

MCAT score(s) and breakdown

1/16/21 494 (122/125/123/124)

6/4/22 504 (124/126/126/128)

State of residence: MI but went to undergrad and currently live/work PA

ORM female

Undergraduate institution or category : Public State School

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Medical Assistant (460 hours now, 2000+ projected), Camp Health Officer (1400 hours), Direct Care Worker in group home for adults (IDD)(495 hours), Occupational Therapy Aide (130 hours)

Research experience and productivity: Protein electrochemistry (300 hours), Exercise Science Research (500 hours, one publication currently in review)

Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Family medicine 24 hours between two docs

Non-clinical volunteering: College athletics events staff (180 hours), organic and gen chem tutor (170 hours), Peer mentor (75 hours)

Other extracurricular activities: NCAA DII field hockey player

Relevant honors or awards: “High Honors” from honors college, NFHCA scholar of distinction 4x, PSAC scholar athlete 4x, NFHCA all senior team

*Strong interest in working in rural areas, primary care.

Current school list MD: WSU, MSU, CMU, NEOmed, Wright State

Current school list DO: LECOM, MSU, LUCOM, OUHCOM, MU-COM, VCOM, WVSOM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI- for your nonclinical volunteering you are supposed to be focusing your volunteering in serving the unserved/unserved in your community. You have to get off campus and out of your comfort zone and work with people very unlike yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
FYI- for your nonclinical volunteering you are supposed to be focusing your volunteering in serving the unserved/unserved in your community. You have to get off campus and out of your comfort zone and work with people very unlike yourself.
Couldn't really do that being a college athlete :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't really do that being a college athlete :/
Well you better figure it out now. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism. You have to show ADCOMS you can work with all kinds of people. Nonclinical volunteering is one of the expected ECs.

Reactions: 1 users
Well you better figure it out now. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism. You have to show ADCOMS you can work with all kinds of people. Nonclinical volunteering is one of the expected ECs.
I spent a summer working in a group home for IDD adults, my application focused a lot about serving them, my shadowing was in a rural area, and another summer I spent working at a summer camp. I have worked with everything from kids to college students to now the geriatric population. I also have volunteer as a therapy aide at a therapy camp for children from underserved areas.

Would you then say that I should be looking to update applications with volunteer work? I have to currently work full time to support myself.

I spent a summer working in a group home for IDD adults, my application focused a lot about serving them, my shadowing was in a rural area, and another summer I spent working at a summer camp. I have worked with everything from kids to college students to now the geriatric population. I also have volunteer as a therapy aide at a therapy camp for children from underserved areas.

Would you then say that I should be looking to update applications with volunteer work? I have to currently work full time to support myself.
That’s all fine but you have everyone of those listed as clinical experiences. You can’t double dip. So look at those activities and see if you can reasonably move those to nonclinical volunteering. And if so do it . Your focus and descriptions might have to change a bit but it might be better than having no nonclinical volunteering.

You probably know this but you can only be a resident of one state.

That’s all fine but you have everyone of those listed as clinical experiences. You can’t double dip. So look at those activities and see if you can reasonably move those to nonclinical volunteering. And if so do it . Your focus and descriptions might have to change a bit but it might be better than having no nonclinical volunteering.

You probably know this but you can only be a resident of one state.
Yes I know, I am technically a Michigan resident. However, I have already applied. I am currently working on secondary apps and a lot are asking where I am currently living which is different from my permanent residence. (I get in-state tuition for MI which I live in a large city (parents), but I am currently working in rural PA)

I would have to look back at what each were labeled as. I knew going into it my volunteer experience was compromised due to having to make enough money during the semester to support myself throughout the school year. Outside of that, I am just trying to conceptualize what my chances are in getting in to mainly DO but also MD.

Skip the secondaries for NEOMED and Wright State since they admit very few non residents with a MCAT of 504 and no connection to the state.
You could add these MD schools:
Oakland Beaumont (likes high GPAs)
Toledo (some preference to Michigan residents)
Drexel
Temple
Commonwealth Geisinger
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Remove OU-HCOM since they admit few non residents. You could add these DO schools:
CUSOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
NYITCOM
PCOM

What networking have you done in rural health? It is great if your shadowing is with rural physicians; did you grow up in a rural community?
I shadowed rural physicians, I grew up in a small town in Michigan outside of the city, but it was by no means rural. I went to school in a rural area and have no desire to move back to the city. My fiancé grew up in a rural area and I have spent a lot of time around there and know that that/one like it is the community that I want to serve.

What suggestions did you get from those physicians about where they recommend?
One had gone to NEOmed and the other Cinnci, I had also worked with a DO from MSU. They didn't have any particular recommendations. They did say to look to be in a more rural area if possible, they had good things to say about WVSOM and LECOM