MD WAMC in Texas? 521, 3.9, non-resident with no ties.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuResurgens

Newbie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My only tie to Texas is that I grew up in the South (but not Texas) and I think I'd enjoy it there. I'm a competitive applicant with +2000 clinical hours, non-trad with some interesting gap year experiences, but I keep hearing that Texas schools have to take 90% in-state so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money if I have almost no chance. Mostly looking at UT-Austin and UT Southwestern for TMDSAS. Worth giving it a try or do they generally not touch non-residents without family or other ties to the state?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure give it a shot. You are only paying for one application anyway.

Texas schools have huge classes and dont get many OOS applicants. So what looks like extreme IS bias is really a school of 230 having 23 OOS matriculants and only like 1000 OOS applicants. That sounds like a bad ratio until you realize all these schools that take over 150 people OOS tend to get over 8,000 apps a year.

The people who get into Texas OOS tend to have something intriguing and compelling to carry them. Your stats are that for you. So if it's something you really want give it a shot.

Baylor in particular is probably where your odds will be best at(not a TMDAS app I believe)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sure give it a shot. You are only paying for one application anyway.

Texas schools have huge classes and dont get many OOS applicants. So what looks like extreme IS bias is really a school of 230 having 23 OOS matriculants and only like 1000 OOS applicants. That sounds like a bad ratio until you realize all these schools that take over 150 people OOS tend to get over 8,000 apps a year.

The people who get into Texas OOS tend to have something intriguing and compelling to carry them. Your stats are that for you. So if it's something you really want give it a shot.

Baylor in particular is probably where your odds will be best at(not a TMDAS app I believe)

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'll definitely apply then!