WAMC International 3.7/528

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZinTheGame

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm an international student graduating this spring and willing to apply to med here in the US.
I am hoping to get some advice/guidance on my chances as well as schools I should or shouldn't apply to:

1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.7 (3.6, 2.8, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0)
*Major: Engineering (Co-op hence 5ys degree)
2. MCAT: 528
3. Country of citizenship: International student from North Africa
4. Ethnicity: ORM ? (I'm a Berber from North Africa, we have no recognized category in AMCAS and are told to identify as white, also FGLI)
5. Undergraduate Institution: T30

6. Clinical experience:
*Volunteer: +1000h (Emergency, Cardiac outpatient clinic, Patient companion & Psychiatric outpatient (relates to my research))

7. Research experience:
*+1800h Psychiatry Reseach using Machine Learning & AI (in addition to +1400h projected during gap year, been in the same lab since sophomore year)
*4 publications (1 co-first & mid author in the rest. Published in various journals including Nature)
*Presentations (posters/oral) at school/regional conferences
*Rewarded summer research grants
*+500h Research Coordinator in a biotech startup that developed a mobile app of AI-optimized medical imaging

8. Shadowing experience:
*+70h - hoping to have more (FM Doc, EM & Psychiatry)

9. Non-clinical volunteering:
*~460h Distress line listener
*~500h first-hand service with new immigrants from underprivileged backgrounds (in a local NGO)
*+200h service with sexual and gender minorities (through an independent service in the students union, this includes being in an advisory committee)
*around 100h in a Diving club in my home country to welcome tourists and take visitors in Kayak tours around small islands

10. Other Extracurriculars:
*around 300h serving as reviewer, then editor and finally Editor-in-Chief for the main undergrad research journal in my uni
*around 700h of tutoring as of now (college students through my uni tutoring center, new immigrants(children) through a service project)
*TA for various coding classes throughout 4 semesters
*Leadership in an AI x Healthcare org through uni chapter then through the national team (also relates to my research area and the startup I worked in, this is a very significant activity for me)
*Co-op work terms included research, Biomed internships and my own business.

11. Hobbies: 2-star SCUBA Diver ! It's a very significant activity for me, spent a lot of time in my training to become a certified CMAS** and had exposure to diving medicine.

*LORs:
2 from science profs I took the pre-reqs with, 1 from an engineering prof, 1 from my PI, 1 from a physician I shadowed and worked with (in the AI x Healthcare org) ...... another one hopefully from a post-doc in my research lab (very close to me personally),
*the CEO of the startup I worked in is also willing to write me a letter but some schools limit the package to 6 letters only

12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
*started my own business and made +60k$ which helped me pay tuition on my own
*Trilingual (Arabic, French and English)
*To boost my gpa i took a lot of online courses in CC (no pre-reqs), I'm worried about this and about my GPA in general.
*started most of my activities in second-year and continued growing with them, low GPA in first two years because of that and because of serious financial issues I had, but I know nothing can excuse it.
*can't comment on my narratitve or personal experiences but I hope they're convincing. Passionate about applications of Machine Learning to Psychiatry, as well as health equity (some of my research projects are dedicated to discussing health disparities)

13. Schools List: very uncertain about them because of my GPA, I want to apply to all MD schools that fund international applicants, I really appreciate your suggestions !

Thank you very much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
U Penn
St. Louis
Stanford
Tulane
UCLA
U Illinois
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Wayne State
Yale

Reactions: 1 user
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
New York Medical College
U Penn
St. Louis
Stanford
Tulane
UCLA
U Illinois
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
Yale
Thank you for your reply!

What is Loma Linda's mission exactly? And also, do you think I can add more of the top schools that fully fund students in-need or is there any particular reason I should not? Since I will be taking one gap year at least, what other parts of my app do u think I should work on?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
New York Medical College
U Penn
St. Louis
Stanford
Tulane
UCLA
U Illinois
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
Yale
gw
georgetown
MCW
NYMC
Wayne State (if not undergrad here)

Just wanted to note that these institutions don't accept international students at all, at least based on the current cycle!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Have you connected with Resources | F-1 Doctors ? I am swayed that you could apply to brand-name programs that accept internationals, but you should do homework on them. (See the schools represented by that organization.)
I have not but I will try looking into it!

Can you explain me exactly what I should look into regarding those competitive programs? Do you mean like their missions or their GPA requirements?

Also do you have any other particular comment on what I should do to improve my application? is it competitive enough?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
I have not but I will try looking into it!

Can you explain me exactly what I should look into regarding those competitive programs? Do you mean like their missions or their GPA requirements?

Also do you have any other particular comment on what I should do to improve my application? is it competitive enough?

Thank you very much!
Find a supportive community and student services infrastructure. I don't exactly have an idea of your mission fit to handicap your chances, but you should get attention for interviews.

Find a supportive community and student services infrastructure. I don't exactly have an idea of your mission fit to handicap your chances, but you should get attention for interviews.
Thank you! I was mostly worried about my GPA and having CC courses on transcript, but if that doesn't harm my chances (especially as an intl. applicant) then I hope that the rest of my app is convincing enough.

Thank you for your reply!

What is Loma Linda's mission exactly? And also, do you think I can add more of the top schools that fully fund students in-need or is there any particular reason I should not? Since I will be taking one gap year at least, what other parts of my app do u think I should work on?
Go to the Loma Linda website. I excluded schools that admit 2 or fewer internationals. For schools that admit only 1 or 2, the candidates are usually internal. Your ECs are good.

Go to the Loma Linda website. I excluded schools that admit 2 or fewer internationals. For schools that admit only 1 or 2, the candidates are usually internal. Your ECs are good.
Do you think my GPA or transcript containing classes from a CC can impact my chances negatively? I've read multiple times about how a good mcat doesnt necessarily make up for a bad gpa. Thanks

Do you think my GPA or transcript containing classes from a CC can impact my chances negatively? I've read multiple times about how a good mcat doesnt necessarily make up for a bad gpa. Thanks
Your GPA is not bad. You have 4.0 for 3 years in a row.

Yeah, and to second that - they have a perfect MCAT and strong ECs. If they weren't international, they'd be Harvard material. They still may be.

Sorry if this question is stupid but for my 3rd & 5th year I have less credits than 1/2/4th year (because some semesters are internships), I still took 1-2 courses even during my work terms (mostly bio/orgo pre-reqs) but its not as heavy as an entire school year, do you think this means anything to the admissions committees? and would they downplay the improvement because I had less credits?

Also, how do you think I should be classifying 5ys of courses into the 4ys categorization (freshman/soph/junior/senior) ?

@Mr.Smile12 do u have any idea about how I should approach this if u dont mind!

Thank you all! Sorry i'm totally clueless about the AMCAS stuff

Sorry if this question is stupid but for my 3rd & 5th year I have less credits than 1/2/4th year (because some semesters are internships), I still took 1-2 courses even during my work terms (mostly bio/orgo pre-reqs) but its not as heavy as an entire school year, do you think this means anything to the admissions committees? and would they downplay the improvement because I had less credits?

Also, how do you think I should be classifying 5ys of courses into the 4ys categorization (freshman/soph/junior/senior) ?

@Mr.Smile12 do u have any idea about how I should approach this if u dont mind!

Thank you all! Sorry i'm totally clueless about the AMCAS stuff
Make sure you read the 2025 AMCAS applicant guide:

Coursework entry, classifying by year

If you have questions, send an email to the helpdesk .

No one gets extra credit points for overloading their schedules. Conversely, no one really cares so much if you underload. Consider when prompted to state the circumstances why you had to lighten your courseload to help reviewers with context (in case there is that faculty member who wants to know).