WAMC/List Help (WARS B, 520/4.00)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hdfuzz

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE. I plan to remove my state of residence.

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some thoughts as I finalize my school list.
  1. Both GPAs are 4.00 by AMCAS
  2. MCAT 520 (131/128/130/131)
  3. Egyptian woman (first gen immigrant). I talked about how this influenced my desire to work with underserved communities in my PS. I'm also interested in primary care.
  4. State school
  5. Clinical experience: ~150hrs hospice care (not paid), ~50hrs working as an MA at a low-cost clinic
  6. Research in influenza, started Spring 2020, ~1500hrs, no pubs or presentation, just an honors thesis
  7. Shadowing: over 200hrs, family care, neurology, anesthesiology, PM&R, rheumatology, pathology, maybe some others but I don't remember right now
  8. Non-clinical: total ~260hrs, delivering with Meals on Wheels since March 2021 for ~130hrs, helping seniors get free prescription meds or caregiving help since June 2021 for ~130hrs
  9. Other extracurriculars: leader for a climate change organization for about 2 years for at least 200hrs, leader for a student-led math tournament for at least 50hrs, TA'ed for two biochem courses for about 150hrs, I will be getting an MPH during my gap year
  10. No particular honors/awards
  11. I got pretty ill my freshman year and was recommended to medically withdraw. I decided not to, but being sick took up huge amounts of my time. Things resolved themselves around sophomore year, but I had some immune issues into the beginning of the pandemic. This really hindered my ability to get involved until the later half of my undergraduate career. Thankfully fully healthy now!
State of residence: AL, but I have significant ties to TN as well.

I'm WARS B and plan to apply to 30 schools. My school list is divided by WARS category. Schools with an asterisk are ones I feel less sure about. I would especially like to get some input on those schools and if they may be better replaced by another.

WARS Category 4 or 5
University of Alabama at Birmingham (Heersink)
University of South Alabama
University of Tennessee Memphis
East Tennessee State University
NYU Long Island
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech*
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine in New Jersey*
Wake Forest*
Medical College of Wisconsin*
Western Michigan (Stryker)*
Robert Larner COM at University of Vermont*
University of Cincinnati*
Quinnipiac*
University of Iowa Carver*
USF Morsani*

WARS Category 3
Ohio State University
UNC
Kaiser
University of Colorado*
Geisel SOM at Dartmouth*

WARS Category 2
Vanderbilt
Emory
NYU Grossman
UCLA David Greffen
Mayo
Ichan SOM at Mount Sinai

WARS Category 1
Wash U
Duke
U Chicago

Thank you so much in advance! I really appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your high stats. I suggest these schools with your stats:
NYU Long Island
USF Morsani*
WARS Category 3
Ohio State University
Kaiser
University of Colorado*
Geisel SOM at Dartmouth*
WARS Category 2
Vanderbilt
Emory
NYU Grossman
UCLA David Greffen
Mayo
Ichan SOM at Mount Sinai
WARS Category 1
Wash U
Duke
U Chicago
You could add any of these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
U Michigan
Case Western

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your high stats. I suggest these schools with your stats:
NYU Long Island
USF Morsani*
WARS Category 3
Ohio State University
Kaiser
University of Colorado*
Geisel SOM at Dartmouth*
WARS Category 2
Vanderbilt
Emory
NYU Grossman
UCLA David Greffen
Mayo
Ichan SOM at Mount Sinai
WARS Category 1
Wash U
Duke
U Chicago
You could add any of these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
U Michigan
Case Western
Thank you so much for the feedback! I see you mostly took out schools from category 4-5. That was the group I was struggling with the most.

I feel hesitant to add schools such as Harvard, Yale, U Mich, etc. because I already have nine schools in the 1-2 category, which as far as WARS B goes, is already enough Top/High tier schools.

I'm trying to avoid having a school list that is too top heavy, but I am also struggling with finding mid/"lower" tier schools that wouldn't yield protect.

Also I saw you took out UNC. I've heard they have a regional preference. Would you consider that region to be the southeast?

Edit: I also saw you took out Iowa Carver. Their stats are fairly high though?

Last edited:
If your identity is critical to your selection of schools, go to Chapter News and reach out.
Interesting, thank you for the resource! I don't know that I would say my identity is a critical point in my selection of schools, more so that it has just had a significant influence on my perspective on and drive for medicine. I'll check NAAMA out!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I see you mostly took out schools from category 4-5. That was the group I was struggling with the most.

I feel hesitant to add schools such as Harvard, Yale, U Mich, etc. because I already have nine schools in the 1-2 category, which as far as WARS B goes, is already enough Top/High tier schools.

I'm trying to avoid having a school list that is too top heavy, but I am also struggling with finding mid/"lower" tier schools that wouldn't yield protect.

Also I saw you took out UNC. I've heard they have a regional preference. Would you consider that region to be the southeast?

Edit: I also saw you took out Iowa Carver. Their stats are fairly high though?
UNC admits few non residents with no connection to the state. Iowa prefers their own residents and may assume you will choose an Alabama school over Iowa. If you want to add more mid tiers then Hofstra, Einstein, Jefferson, Miami would be fine.