WAMC - Looking for advice on school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oconn23j

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would really like some feedback on my school list - any schools not worth applying to? Or any I should add? Does it need to be more balanced?

Overall GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.52
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22AA / QR 22 / Bio 19 / Orgo 19 / Chem 19 / TS 19 / RC 30 / PAT 18
State of Residence: MA

Undergrad Attended: Mount Holyoke
Major: neuroscience
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 40 general + 10 orthodontist (hoping to get a bit more, been difficult with COVID)
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours in hospital surgical day care unit
Employment: Working as a research assistant at Brigham and Womens since graduating 2 years ago
Research: over 2000 hours - working in undergrad research lab for 3 years + internships; 2nd author on published paper, 2 presentations - 1 at local conference, 1 at society for neuroscience annual conference in San Diego
Other Extracurriculars: in MEDLIFE chapter at school for 2 years
Relevant Honors or Awards: 2 research related scholarships + 1 award
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, 1 dentist, current supervisor (all strong) + committee letter written by undergrad PI (very strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:

UConn
Rutgers
Columbia
UPenn
UPitt
Tufts
BU
New England
USC
UCSF
Maryland
UMich
UOP
Western
VCU

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should substitute Buffalo and Stony Brook for some of the schools on your list. They are excellent OOS options that grant in-state tuition after a year and are not that far from MA. Others may disagree but I think you should trim down the list. I would really try to identify the schools that you would actually attend if given admission, and really try to visualize paying the tuition to attend some of these programs. I think when applying it is easier for people to imagine the possibility of attending schools, but in reality there are fewer schools they would actually attend based on cost and location once accepted. From the limited information that the above post provides about yourself, it seems like your top choices should be UConn, Stony Brook, Buffalo, & Rutgers just because of cost and proximity to home (if you care about that) and maybe throw in the the Ivys if that is important to you. I may have an unpopular opinion, but I would rather re-apply and spend a year working to get into UConn and the other identified schools compared to attending the more expensive private schools on your list. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! I think I will add Buffalo and Stony Brook and try to remove a few. It would be nice to stay in New England or nearby, but I also have some family in Michigan as well as California. Since I'm already 2 years out of college, I really don't want to have to re-apply, so that's why my list is so long.