WAMC - Low Gpa, professional paramedic for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thapanda

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m a non-traditional applicant and I've been thinking about applying this cycle (2024-2025) and I’m just not sure if I’ll be competitive enough. I’m leaning towards no because of my gpa and mcat but I’d like y’all’s feedback.

Me: 27F BS Biology
cGPA: 3.0 with the last 60 credits 3.67 all science, most at CC
sGPA: 3.0
Clinical Experience: 9100 hours; (5000 EMT, 4000 Paramedic) and 100 medical scribe. (Full time since Jan 2020)
Shadowing: 24 hours between Cardiology MD, IM MD, and Ortho PA. Definitely below average for shadowing and I need more. I’m finding it hard to find a DO to shadow.
MCAT: 499 (126/123/126/124), I'd like to retake this and get it higher if possible
Teaching: EMT field training officer, now paramedic FTO, EVOC instructor
Volunteering: ~200 hours at local hospital, ~400 hours at animal shelter in undergrad
LOR: One from my current supervisor, one former Paramedic supervisor, and one from cardiology MD I shadowed.

I’ve come to realize that my gpa is not going to get any better because I have over 200 credits under my belt. The best I can think of is retake the MCAT and maybe take even more science classes?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It would help to take some undergraduate level science courses this semester in order to increase your sGPA. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
BCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
ICOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
BUCOM
LMU-DCOM
OCOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
WCU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
DUQCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I’m a non-traditional applicant and I've been thinking about applying this cycle (2024-2025) and I’m just not sure if I’ll be competitive enough. I’m leaning towards no because of my gpa and mcat but I’d like y’all’s feedback.

Me: 27F BS Biology
cGPA: 3.0 with the last 60 credits 3.67 all science, most at CC
sGPA: 3.0
Clinical Experience: 9100 hours; (5000 EMT, 4000 Paramedic) and 100 medical scribe. (Full time since Jan 2020)
Shadowing: 24 hours between Cardiology MD, IM MD, and Ortho PA. Definitely below average for shadowing and I need more. I’m finding it hard to find a DO to shadow.
MCAT: 499 (126/123/126/124), I'd like to retake this and get it higher if possible
Teaching: EMT field training officer, now paramedic FTO, EVOC instructor
Volunteering: ~200 hours at local hospital, ~400 hours at animal shelter in undergrad
LOR: One from my current supervisor, one former Paramedic supervisor, and one from cardiology MD I shadowed.

I’ve come to realize that my gpa is not going to get any better because I have over 200 credits under my belt. The best I can think of is retake the MCAT and maybe take even more science classes?

Thanks so much!
Would you consider a postbac program?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would help to take some undergraduate level science courses this semester in order to increase your sGPA. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
BCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
ICOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
BUCOM
LMU-DCOM
OCOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
WCU-COM
DUQCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July

Would you consider a postbac program?
Yes! I'm actually in the process of getting some idea of what programs to apply to! I am only looking at ones with some sort of linkage. So far I am looking at VCU CERT, Georgetown, EVMS, Temple, and Rosland franklin. Do you know of others that I can add to that list?

ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
BCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
ICOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
BUCOM
LMU-DCOM
OCOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
WCU-COM
DUQCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thanks so much! That is a lot of schools! I am also considering a formal post bacc program to also help me too.

Yes! I'm actually in the process of getting some idea of what programs to apply to! I am only looking at ones with some sort of linkage. So far I am looking at VCU CERT, Georgetown, EVMS, Temple, and Rosland franklin. Do you know of others that I can add to that list?
Tufts (I interviewed the director of the program for our podcast), Goucher, Scripps, Johns Hopkins come to mind.

Reactions: 1 user
DM me if you're considering the CERT program at VCU.