WAMC: Low stat ORM, need some guidance for school list.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeeBetter

Reaction score
**PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE**

Hello! I'm looking to see if it is worthwhile to pursue and application this year to medical school(s). I have most of my primary application done for MD and DO, and am looking to shape up the school list. I am interested in both MD and DO, but I feel like I am dead-in-the-water for MD due to my low stats. MY only saving grace might be my ECs, in my opinion, but any advice or help is more than appreciated!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

--

2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown

--

3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)

--

4. Demographic info

--

5. Undergraduate institution or category

--

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)

--

7. Research experience and productivity:

--

8. Shadowing & Clinical Observation:

--

9. Non-clinical volunteering:

--

10. Misc and Hobbies

--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You’re a great candidate for DO schools. I think some East Coast MD programs might be a good shot too. The problem is that you are low on both MCAT and GPA so that’s a double whammy. Just make sure you apply to 10 solid DO programs as a backup.

Reactions: 1 users
I would only suggest DO schools. You will have to see which have a 3.2 cut-off since your high school grades are pulling you down. A downward trend your senior year in your science classes does not help for MD.

Try:
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)
WVSOM
KCU
PCOM (all campuses)
LECOM (all campuses)
DMU
Marian
KCOM (Kirksville)
Campbell
WCU
ACOM
Touro NV
NYIT AR

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD, you would need an SMP or postbacc, plus a better MCAT score and continued volunteering.

Add one more voice. An SMP would have been more efficient than a postbac, and I agree you probably still need a SMP for a stronger MD application. DO though may be good, but were you ever certified as a teacher?

Reactions: 1 user
Concentrate on applying broadly to DO schools. The only MD schools worth trying are Virginia Commonwealth and Eastern Virginia.

I would only suggest DO schools. You will have to see which have a 3.2 cut-off since your high school grades are pulling you down. A downward trend your senior year in your science classes does not help for MD.

Try:
VCOM (all campuses except Monroe)
WVSOM
KCU
PCOM (all campuses)
LECOM (all campuses)
DMU
Marian
KCOM (Kirksville)
Campbell
WCU
ACOM
Touro NV
NYIT AR

Thank you for your reply!

I understand that some DO schools place a large emphasis on DO shadowing and a LOR. While I have some exposure to DOs during my clinical rotations in undergrad, I don’t have any explicit DO shadowing and I only have an MD LOR.

How much of a detriment is this to my application?

Add one more voice. An SMP would have been more efficient than a postbac, and I agree you probably still need a SMP for a stronger MD application. DO though may be good, but were you ever certified as a teacher?
No, I never pursued certification as a teacher unfortunately. That experience was more of a mentorship program for college student/graduates where we worked alongside teachers in a specific class block to help struggling disadvantaged students (first-gen, single parent, etc) in any classes they were challenged in, and/or help them get started on building a successful college application.

Concentrate on applying broadly to DO schools. The only MD schools worth trying are Virginia Commonwealth and Eastern Virginia.
Many thanks for your reply! I am fully committed to applying broadly and will be happy with any medical school that accepts me :)

Do you think I can add VT-Carillion to this list? Not only are they IS, but also seem to be research-oriented, which is a highlight in my app. MSAR also suggest they are within striking range for me based on their accepted students data.

If not, why do you suggest that VCU and EVMS are worthy trying for? Is it because they’re in-state as well?

Thanks again for all who have taken time to reply for my WAMC thread, y’all have been more than helpful! :=|:-):

@Goro I would love your insight on this as well, especially in regards to DO schools!

Many thanks for your reply! I am fully committed to applying broadly and will be happy with any medical school that accepts me :)

Do you think I can add VT-Carillion to this list? Not only are they IS, but also seem to be research-oriented, which is a highlight in my app. MSAR also suggest they are within striking range for me based on their accepted students data.

If not, why do you suggest that VCU and EVMS are worthy trying for? Is it because they’re in-state as well?
If you are in-state, VT-C is a school you can consider. Also, consider it's in Roanoke and their curriculum. Compare to VCU and EVMS (I would try for all in-state options).

Yes, those 3 schools are instate and Virginia Commonwealth and Eastern Virginia give preference to Virginia residents.

Thank you for your reply!

I understand that some DO schools place a large emphasis on DO shadowing and a LOR. While I have some exposure to DOs during my clinical rotations in undergrad, I don’t have any explicit DO shadowing and I only have an MD LOR.

How much of a detriment is this to my application?
It is not but do try to shadow a DO at some point and be sure you have an answer for why osteopathic medicine in case that comes up in secondaries or interviews.