WAMC MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomasthem

Reaction score
I am potentially interested in applying to medical school this spring. However, as I have realized, my application is very lacking in certain respects. I will post both what my current stats are in certain relevant areas and also what they might be if I work very hard at bringing them up before next summer.

1. cGPA: 3.4; sGPA 2.7: I am taking some requirements I have not completed yet this year at a local college and I hope to bring the sGPA up to 3.1 if all goes well.

2. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I am generally very good with standardized tests and, provided I go through with a serious course of studying, I hope to get at least a 521. In your response, I ask that you please consider what a score of 521 or higher would mean for my chances. Also, if I don't get a score quite this high, what 514 would mean.
3. State of residence: Michigan

4. White

5. I finished at a university ranked 3 on the US News and World Report.

6. I volunteered at a local hospital for roughly 30 hours the summer before this one. I do realize that these numbers are going to have to go up significnatly before application time and I plan on getting at least a few hundred hours by the application date--though due to the current pandemic it will be difficult to do this and I am open to potential suggestions regarding volunteering if anyone has any.

7. Research experience and productivity: None

8. Shadowing experience: None. I hope to get at least 50 hours of this before the application though, again, the current pandemic situation may pose an obstacle.

9. Non-clinical volunteering: None.

10. Other extracurricular activities: None. I do enjoy researching various subjects on my own time but this would not count as an extracurricular activity.

11. Relevant honors or awards: None.

12. I take the time to mention that I will not have any particularly strong LOR's and, will not be receiving my undergraduates committee letter (which I have heard might be read by admissions officers as a "red flag").

I realize my application is currently sorely lacking in many respects. What I am wondering is: if I succeed at getting a few hundred volunteering hours, sufficient shadowing hours, my sGPA up to 3.1, and a very high MCAT score (such as 521 or thereabouts) do I stand any chance for MD or DO schools? And if I don't would applying in two years (as opposed to next summer) and acquiring better stats/experiences/possibly doing a Post-bac be a decent course of action.

Members don't see this ad.

the answer to your question is yes to MD and DO. Easier said than done. If you really want to become a doctor, it is possible. Just know that doing is a lot harder than saying. If you are unsuccessful after applying with a diy postbac, you might need a special masters program (SMP) to boost the GPA even more. I had a classmate in my SMP who had sub 2.5 sGPA, did post bac (4.0) and then SMP (4.0) along with 518 MCAT. He got into an MD school. You have a lot of work to do. GL.

Reactions: 1 user
There really is no way of knowing without your real GPAs and MCAT! Currently your sGPA is just too low for any med school. Having a good track record of doing well on standardized tests like the MCAT might help you but you obviously have some big deficits in your scientific knowledge right now. And of course there are your nonexistent ECs. What I’m trying to say is if you want to be a doctor, slow down and do it right. There is no reason why you should even be thinking of applying next June. You only want to apply one time with the best possible application possible! Remember just over 40% of all applicants are even accepted each cycle. So take your time and build your application. Spend some time researching DO schools. DO schools might be a more viable path to becoming a doctor. Find @Goro’s Guide For Reinvention! You have lots of work ahead but anything is possible but there are no guarantees in this process. So
always have a Plan B! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user