WAMC/MD School list help 506 mcat, 3.61 gpa, great ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DopaBrain

Reaction score
hi all, I originally posted this on Reddit and I was advised to utilize this resource to come up with a school list that'll maximize my chances into an MD program! I'm pretty hellbent on going to an MD program, but I'm open to any and all advice. I have mediocre statistics, but I have great LORS and extracurriculars/accomplishments so I'd appreciate any advice on my school list! I'm planning to apply this 2023 cycle (also, I have a heavy neuro application bc that's what I'm mainly interested in doing)

-demographics: ORM (middle eastern), IL resident, female. speaks 3 languages fluently, learning ASL.
-mcat: 506 (125/127/126/128) This was my second attempt, original score was 497 so increased by 9 points within months of revisions
-overall GPA: 3.61 (3.53 from my community college; 3.73 from my university with a BS in Neuroscience with honors) so there is an upward trend

-research: full time neuro research at Feinberg since august 2022. I've accumulated 900 hours so far but I plan to continue doing this for 6-8 more months, so I'll have 1,000+ hours of research. I'll be an author on 5-7 papers, all first or second author within the upcoming 6 months to 1.5 years. (none have been published so far, first one to be published end of this year).

-clinical experience: haven't calculated it exactly but easily 1,000 hours or more (I worked A LOT during undergrad to pay off school). worked as a chiropractic assistant for a year and did physical therapy on patients and vaccinated 500-800 people against covid-19 w/h a hospital for 6 months (we served underserved communities as well!)

-shadowing: ~ 200 hours w/h an MD neurologist

-extracurriculars/accomplishments: my community colleges stem student of the year for 2020, won a service award from the hospital I worked at due to patient satisfaction, was president of my community college's honor society, was vice president of my community college's UNICEF club (we did a lot of service events at my honor's club and UNICEF so I have community involvement)

-great LORs: 1 from my PI, 1 from an assistant professor, and 1 from an MD neurologist.

I'm a first gen who's in her second gap year, so I don't have many people to ask for advice or guidance regarding the school list. I'd greatly appreciate your help :)

Instate schools:
Loyola
University of Illinois Chicago (my undergrad)
Rosalind Franklin
Rush

Out of state schools:
Georgetown (i'm a devout catholic and will have a service-heavy PS)
Temple
Tulane
TCU
Morehouse
Albany
Wayne State
Central Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you tell us about your service heavy activities? You really don’t mention much service at all. You should get a day or two with a primary care doc and then stop,shadowing. You only need around 50 hours but you should have some with a PCP.
When are you planning to apply?

Remove Morehouse since they mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Central Michigan admits few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Loyola
University of Illinois Chicago (my undergrad)
Georgetown (i'm a devout catholic and will have a service-heavy PS)
Temple
Tulane
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Rush
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Creighton
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Penn State
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance so you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
If you are applying this year you should submit your application this month and all your secondaries by July. For DO schools you could apply as late as September.

Reactions: 1 user