WAMC Mismatched Stats (3.65/522)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cell_cycle

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I'd really appreciate your help! I know my gpa is pretty low and I'm just hoping my MCAT and EC's will balance them out.

cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT score: 522 (129/131/130/132)
Residence: Tennessee
Demographics: Asian female
Undergrad: T30 in North Carolina

Clinical experience: 200 hours as a clinical assistant; 225 hours as a volunteer doula at local hospital

Research: 1000 hours in molecular biology lab with honors thesis and two posters; 500 hours with a research fellowship

Shadowing: 60 hours (40 EM, 10 ortho surg, 10 pediatrician)

Non-clinical volunteering: 280 hours of elementary school tutoring, 60 hours of elementary school science program volunteering

Leadership: 900 hours as Director and VP for university's program planning board

Artistic endeavors: 200 hours with an art charity which calls for volunteer painters, have participated in collaboration between the charity and UNICEF. 3 state awards and 1 national award in painting.

Employment: 400 hours HCA internship, 200 hours university clinical research administrative internship, 1000 hours healthcare consulting position during gap year.

This is the list of schools I've been considering:

Emory
Case Western
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Boston University
Oregon Health
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Brown
University of Miami Miller
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Georgetown
University of Tennessee
Saint Louis University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia
Kaiser
Loyola
Tulane

Thank you so much for your time and input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The one area that works me is your non clinical volunteering. So you have any experience that is not tutoring? Every premed does some tutoring so it doesn't help you stand out or show your service orientation.

Why do you find a purpose as a physician?

Did I miss Vanderbilt on your list?

Reactions: 1 user
The one area that works me is your non clinical volunteering. So you have any experience that is not tutoring? Every premed does some tutoring so it doesn't help you stand out or show your service orientation.

Why do you find a purpose as a physician?

Did I miss Vanderbilt on your list?
That’s a good point, I didn’t realize that would be a gap. I’ll try to work on that this semester.

I felt like my gpa took me out of the running for Vanderbilt. Their gpa range is very clustered around 3.9.

Schools such as Alabama and Oregon admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Tennessee
East Tennessee
Vanderbilt (they like high MCAT scores)
Washington University (in St. Louis)
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Emory
Duke
North Carolina
Georgetown