WAMC (Ontario, Canada)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steeldark

Reaction score
Hey y'all, i'm new to this forum but have been browsing for a while.

just to save your time; this is going to be a short low GPA, high MCAT story.

I'm just finishing up my 4th year of Biochemistry at UofT, going to do a 5th year to bring up GPA and finish two breadth requirements and pursue a Masters in this lab and topic (I love the topic and people) to further improve my research and amounts of publications. I'd be continuing my thesis research this summer but sadly COVID19 derailed those plans and i'll be continuing in the fall. Also

I had an okay first year, but an abyssmal second and third year and my cGPA tanked and I failed physics II twice, not because I didn't understand the material (I guess it is that but besides the point) but because astronomy was such a heavy component and it was a little unmotivating to learn it, and near the end and something would always get in the way in my personal life and i'd just give up on physics because I had no motivation for it. Terrible mistake since the first time I failed with a 49 after going in with like a high 60, and the second I wouldn't know since i did a pass/fail assessment on it (it's called cr/ncr at uoft).

However, in Summer 2019, I had an awakening and did the MCAT, and i've been getting 3.7's and 4.0's in my classes and at this point i've managed to pull up to a 2.52 (abyssmal lol) .
My extracurriculars have always been decent since my first year, and i've been tutoring for 3 years.
According to my calculations, I'd have to do 6-7 courses a semester starting this summer and 4.0 every single one to get to a 3.0 (cutoff for mcmaster).

However, my MCAT was a 525.
The only place i'm even remotely capable of applying at is Queens University which places heavy emphasis on the last 2 years and if my projections are correct, by the end of my 5th year I should have a 3.8 GPA for my last 2 years.

I wouldn't have any issue conveying my passion for learning, and medicine in an interview but the main problem is getting past the screening and to the interview.

So what do you guys think? Do I even have a 10% chance of getting an interview?

TL;DR: 2.52 cGPA but with a very strong upward trend, 525 MCAT, a good amount of worthwhile extracurriculars, culminating research experience and will pursue MSc. Attempting to apply for QueensU medical school when the time comes which only places a heavy emphasis on the last 2 years. WAMC of an interview?

Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian schools are very well reputed to be metrics heavy. I am not sure with that low of a cGPA, but what is your science GPA?

Do you have contacts with students or admissions recruiters at Queens? Only current students can give you any insight on what they think your chances are based on what they know about the admissions stats of their fellow students.