WAMC ORM MD.PhD. 1st-time applicant, c3.87 s3.81 524 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h4zard

Reaction score
What are my chances for the school list I currently have? Not really sure what schools to add or remove.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA: 3.87 sGPA: 3.81
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 524 (132, 129, 131, 132)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Washington State
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: straight white male 🤓
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: university of Washington, public state school, but I actually grew up in Maryland
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 500 hrs volunteering projected to August 2023 from COPE health scholars. This is a great program that I love and it gives me chances to talk to patients, feed them, roll them, observe procedures, etc;
  7. Research experience and productivity: 5100 hrs of research across two neuroscience labs, 2 publications, 2 presentations, additional presentation upcoming in June at the neurotrauma conference in Atlanta. Very deep and meaningful for me, so much so that I decided to go MD-PhD
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 150 hrs, 80 hrs primary care, other hours are neurosurgery, ortho surgery, neuro intensive care
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: low barrier young adult homeless shelter lead volunteer, 500 hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
    1. Athletics: Ultimate Frisbee and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    2. Hobbies: Chess and EDM production
    3. Teaching: no distinct teaching experience, but I do teach various surgical techniques to students through my lab
    4. Leadership: Fraternity Scholarship chair, also I just like to mentor and teach younger guys in my fraternity and my lab which I talk about in my activities
    5. Camp Counselor: Camp Kesem counselor for 2 summers, help run a virtual summer camp (because covid) for children whose parents have or have died from cancer. My dad got cancer a few years ago which made me want to help with this.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Eagle Scout ⚜️, Deans List all quarters, cum laude neuroscience
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: As I mentioned, I'm actually from Maryland although I went to college in Washington. Potentially this will help me show interest in East coast schools like Miami and Emory? I don't have any awards, which kind of bums me out, but I think I'm putting together a pretty solid app regardless. I mostly only want to apply to schools with an MD-PhD program.

School List: Need advice on this bad boy, I think it may be top-heavy. I'm not sure how to judge which schools I have a strong chance at. These are all schools I would be happy to attend, but do you think I need to add more schools or take some out? WAMC?!?!

Sorted from high to low median mcat, like I said, I'm not sure which schools are reaches or matches.

1. NYU
  2. Johnny Hops
  3. Perelman
  4. Columbia
  5. Yale
  6. Washu
  7. Vandy
  8. Chicago - Pritzker
  9. Northwestern
  10. Cornell
  11. Mayo
  12. Duke
  13. Mt Sinai
  14. Stanford
  15. Pitt
  16. Emory
  17. USC Keck
  18. UCSF
  19. Einstein
  20. Kaiser
  21. UCSD
  22. Dartmouth
  23. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller
  24. Maryland
  25. Loyola Stritch
  26. University of Washington
  27. Tulane
  28. USUHS military medical school in maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive multiple interviews from your list. Remove Loyola and Tulane since they will "yield protect" You could add these schools:
Harvard
Case Western
Cincinnati
Hofstra

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question on the COPE Scholars Program... which program? Compare All Programs - COPE Health Scholars .
I'm doing the "15-month health scholar program" technically, but I'm doing more than 15 months. It's super flexible and you can take it at your own pace. I've been doing 4 hours a week for about 1 year, but I'm switching to 8 hours a week now to get lots more hours and I really enjoy it. If you are proactive and talking to people during your shifts the nurses and doctors will notice and help you out. I had a chance to help with a code blue and observe emergency neurosurgery for a catastrophic brain hemorrhage on a 30 year old woman because all the docs were like "Go to every code you hear". Just a great program definitely do it if you get the chance.

You should receive multiple interviews from your list. Remove Loyola and Tulane since they will "yield protect" You could add these schools:
Harvard
Case Western
Cincinnati
Hofstra
I really like Loyola's mission statement and my friend is going there, and I like the idea of living in Chicago so how do I prevent them from yield protecting? Same thing with Tulane. My mom is an alumnus of Tulane and I'm a fan of the school because one neurosurgeon I follow named Jim Doherty is an alumnus of Tulane and he went on to form the Compassion and Altruism research center at Stanford. I like both of those schools.

Also thank you for your input! I appreciate the help Dr. Faha!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user