WAMC: ORM/TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda1789

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'll be applying this upcoming cycle to mostly DO schools. Therefore, I was wondering if someone can help me with my school list.
Additional Info:

State of residency: TX
Ethnicity: ORM
GPA: 3.2c/ 2.9s
MCAT: 507
Clinical Experience: 100 hours ED (paused due to COVID), will start a scribing job next week.
Non-clinical Volunteering: 400+ hours volunteering at the local church, 50 hours teaching English at a non-profit organization (virtual), 50 hours front desk at a hospital.
Shadowing: 48 hours MD (Orthopedic, EM, Wound Care, etc.). 15 hours DO (IM, Orthopedic). Looking for more DO shadowing hours.
Extracurricular Activities: 30 hours as a fundraising committee member along with other leadership positions.
Employment: 770 hours as a sales associate.
Research: Close to 2 years (450 hours). No publication.

Current School List:
  • TMDSAS (MD & DO)
  • William Carey COM
  • West Virginia
  • University of Pikeville
  • Touro NYC
  • PCOM (Every Campus)
  • PNWU
  • Nova
  • Noorda
  • New York Institute of Technology
  • Midwest University Arizona
  • Michigan state
  • Marian University
  • Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk
  • Lake Erie
  • Kansas COM
  • Kansas City University
  • Des Moines COM
  • Campbell University
  • Arkansas COM
  • Alabama
Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to put together a coherent narrative from what you wrote above. Why do you want to be a physician? I would apply to at least ten more schools (you want to apply once and do it right, rather than have to apply again). School list looks good so far. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Campbell since they have a GPA cutoff and you are below it. You could add these schools:
UIWSOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
TUNCOM

Hello everyone!

I'll be applying this upcoming cycle to mostly DO schools. Therefore, I was wondering if someone can help me with my school list.
Additional Info:

State of residency: TX
Ethnicity: ORM
GPA: 3.2c/ 2.9s
MCAT: 507
Clinical Experience: 100 hours ED (paused due to COVID), will start a scribing job next week.
Non-clinical Volunteering: 400+ hours volunteering at the local church, 50 hours teaching English at a non-profit organization (virtual), 50 hours front desk at a hospital.
Shadowing: 48 hours MD (Orthopedic, EM, Wound Care, etc.). 15 hours DO (IM, Orthopedic). Looking for more DO shadowing hours.
Extracurricular Activities: 30 hours as a fundraising committee member along with other leadership positions.
Employment: 770 hours as a sales associate.
Research: Close to 2 years (450 hours). No publication.

Current School List:
  • TMDSAS (MD & DO)
  • William Carey COM
  • West Virginia
  • University of Pikeville
  • Touro NYC
  • PCOM (Every Campus)
  • PNWU
  • New York Institute of Technology

• Midwest University Arizona
  • Michigan state
  • Marian University
  • Lake Erie
  • Kansas COM
  • Kansas City University
  • Des Moines COM
  • Campbell University
  • Alabama
Thank you so much for your help!
You're DOA for the TX MD schools. And with a 2.9 sGPA, I'm doubtful of your chances at most schools. How are you going to handle med school, overall?

I modifed your list as remove school I can't recommend.

Add OK-COM.

Trying to put together a coherent narrative from what you wrote above. Why do you want to be a physician? I would apply to at least ten more schools (you want to apply once and do it right, rather than have to apply again). School list looks good so far. Good luck! :)
Thank you! I'd be more than happy to send you my PS. Also, do you recommend any other school I should add to my list?

Remove Campbell since they have a GPA cutoff and you are below it. You could add these schools:
UIWSOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
TUNCOM
Thank you so much!! Do you recommend applying to MD schools outside of TX?

You're DOA for the TX MD schools. And with a 2.9 sGPA, I'm doubtful of your chances at most schools. How are you going to handle med school, overall?

I modifed your list as remove school I can't recommend.

Add OK-COM.
What does DOA mean? Regarding the sGPA, do you recommend doing DIY-Post bacc and then applying, or I should apply early in the cycle and update schools with my new sGPA?

What does DOA mean? Regarding the sGPA, do you recommend doing DIY-Post bacc and then applying, or I should apply early in the cycle and update schools with my new sGPA?
I think what he meant was that your GPA is too low for likely success at most Texas MD schools. The average GPA for matriculants is 3.81 and MCAT 511.
Your best lists will be DO schools and some of the TX MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I think what he meant was that your GPA is too low for likely success at most Texas MD schools. The average GPA for matriculants is 3.81 and MCAT 511.
Your best lists will be DO schools and some of the TX MD schools.
*sigh* With two years of research experience, you should know how to use Google.

Do the post back, and then apply. You need to show that you can handle medical school, because they're as of right now your low science GPA says that medical school will be a very big struggle for you. And this point it out oh, you're competing with people who have GPS on average that are almost an entire 1.0 basis point above yours

Therefore, you will apply when you have the best possible application.

Thank you so much!! Do you recommend applying to MD schools outside of TX?
Not right now. As mentioned, your sGPA is way below the matriculant GPA average. It's not impossible but you have to really figure out your fit. For Texas are you experienced in working with underserved communities like you see in the Rio Grande valley or medically underserved parts of Texas? Have you or your family overcome significant challenges as you were growing up or going to school? Grade trend matters so consistent strong performance is really important.

400 hours as a church volunteer? Describe what you did in that role. Any significant community service?

Reactions: 1 user