WAMC (postbac applying through linkage - 4.18 science GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted874602

Currently applying for linkage through my postbac program! Would really appreciate some feedback and perspective - especially given that I have to choose my linkage school without having the chance to visit due to covid.

• State/Country of Residence: NY
  • Ties to other States/Regions: have lived in GA and CA
  • URM? (Y/N): N
  • Year in School: second year postbac student
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): psychology
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable):
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.97 undergrad, 4.18 postbac
  • Science GPA: 4.18
  • MCAT Score(s): no MCAT score since I have to apply for linkage prior to taking the test
  • Research Experience:
    • 2 years of an independently lead research project in cognitive psychology
    • 1 year as a full time lab coordinator at a government institution
    • full time summer internship in an addiction lab
    • 1 year of part time research at a hospital associated with a top 5 medical school
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.):
    • 3 posters & abstracts first author
    • 1 paper about to be submitted first author
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
    • 480 hrs summer internship with a womens recovery center (volunteer)
    • 160 hrs emergency department research intern (more clinical than actual research, though) (volunteer)
    • 520 hours working in the ICU ( I have been about to continue this work throughout the pandemic)
  • Physician Shadowing:
    • only about 20 hours because of covid
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    • 100 hrs in various womens shelters and womens health organizations over the years
    • I volunteer to teach dance to kids in underserved communities
  • Other Extracurricular Activities:
    • dancer
    • personal trainer
  • Other Employment History:
    • worked as a personal trainer and started my own business. Did that for about 2 years after college before deciding to study medicine.
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): orthopedic surgery, but very open to that changing :)
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): considering OBG
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N
  • Medical School List: Columbia, Brown, NYU, Mt. Sinai (for my linkage application I can only pick 2 of these)

Members don't see this ad.

It is not possible to have a GPA > 4 with AMCAS. If you got straight A's or A+'s, then your PB GPA is a 4.0. If you have A+ mixed in with grades lower than an A (like A-, B+, etc.), you need to recalculate using 4.0 for A+.

It is not possible to have a GPA > 4 with AMCAS. If you got straight A's or A+'s, then your PB GPA is a 4.0. If you have A+ mixed in with grades lower than an A (like A-, B+, etc.), you need to recalculate using 4.0 for A+.
Oh okay, that makes sense! My school has A+ as 4.33