WAMC - Prep for Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectszn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply and did you receive any interviews?
I received 3 interviews, I think a big part of my issue is that I had a really cookie cooter traditional application but my interview skills are frankly very luke warm:
NYU Long Island - Rejected
UCF - Waitlisted
Colorado - Waitlisted

School List (I'm aware theres some reaches but money wasn't an issue so I wanted to shoot my shot):
Wake Forest
Duke
Miami Miller
USF
FSU
UCF
FAU
FIU
UF
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
UCLA
UCSF
USC Keck
Temple
Drexel
SKMC Jefferson
Case Western
Brown
Tufts
BU
Colorado
Emory
Einstein
NYU Long Island
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt
Mayo Clinic
Georgetown
GW

When did you take your two MCATs?

Why do you want to do MD/PhD?
I took them September 2022 and March 2023.

My initial inspiration to pursue medicine was through growing up and seeing my father who is a community physician care for patients and the community but I spent most of my premed time shadowing MD/PhDs and doing research at academic centers and I feel more drawn to the multifaceted role of physician-scientists. I've worked in two labs now run by MD/PhDs and they have both let me shadow them in clinic to see how observations from clinic can inform the work we do in our lab, and how the work in the lab has the potential to improve patient outcomes. I find this side of medicine really fascinating and I really see myself thriving in an environment where I am on the frontiers of medicine. Although I do realize this can be achieved with the MD degree on its own followed by postdoc fellowship etc so I am open to applying just MD if my profile/stats are a better fit.

I would recommend doubling your hours for each of your non-clinical volunteering activities. 100 at the food bank and 200 at the homeless shelter would be a good improvement. Work on interview skills. The premed or career services office typically still offer mock interviews to alumni if you have graduated already. Try these schools:

All FL schools (including Nova MD)
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Vermont
Temple
Drexel
SKMC Jefferson
Tufts
Colorado
Einstein
Rochester
NYMC
Albany
NYU Long Island
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Dartmouth
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Oakland
Western Michigan
MCW

You also need to think hard about doing a straight Ph.D. You probably could get a stipend (income) rather than pay tuition if you were just MD. I understand the appeal of MD/PhD includes a stipend and tuition waiver, but this should not be the only reason.

With a lot more community service hours, your application would be stronger. But that said, why do you think Colorado and NYU-LI invited you to interview? Being in-state helps with UCF, but you didn't get noticed by other in-state programs, so did you live near central Florida for most of your upbringing?

You also need to think hard about doing a straight Ph.D. You probably could get a stipend (income) rather than pay tuition if you were just MD. I understand the appeal of MD/PhD includes a stipend and tuition waiver, but this should not be the only reason.

With a lot more community service hours, your application would be stronger. But that said, why do you think Colorado and NYU-LI invited you to interview? Being in-state helps with UCF, but you didn't get noticed by other in-state programs, so did you live near central Florida for most of your upbringing?

I think I was able to squeeze out a lot of interesting stories I had through my clinical experiences where I was working with underserved patients which I think is why I was able to get noticed by Colorado and NYU-LI. I grew up in Orlando where my dad is a practicing IM doc so I had really strong ties for UCF and I’m in a place on the waitlist that historically has resulted in acceptances so hope is not lost there. I also ended up getting another interview recently at Miami which was my top choice program.

That being said what would the chances of getting off the waitlist of any of the 3 schools I’m in the running for: UCF (top third), Colorado (haven’t received where in WL yet), Miami (just in case I get waitlisted, haven’t received a decision). I know I should prep for reapplication til accepted but I don’t want to waste money submitting primaries just to get accepted a few days later.

Reactions: 1 user
That being said what would the chances of getting off the waitlist of any of the 3 schools I’m in the running for: UCF (top third), Colorado (haven’t received where in WL yet), Miami (just in case I get waitlisted, haven’t received a decision). I know I should prep for reapplication til accepted but I don’t want to waste money submitting primaries just to get accepted a few days later.

Reactions: 1 user