WAMC: re-app, 3.9/516

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoshioate

Reaction score
deleted- thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you give us your application results? interviews/waitlists/etc? When did you submit? How did you network before applying?

Who gave you the advice on non clinical volunteering?

I also encourage you to consider Becoming a Student Doctor, which starts next month for improving your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll make the obvious comment, that your very late submission hurt your chances and that would be one easy thing to fix if you need to reapply in 2023-2024.
What to do in your gap year? If you are personally interested in research then do that, but if it isn't a focus of yours, a clinical job would be good

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, I've been beating myself up for it. In regards to my current app, do you see any other things that could be holding me back? I know non-clinical volunteering is one thing I want to do and enjoyed doing before college but never kept up with.
It looks good, to me. Finding a volunteer place off campus will help add to your resume.
I'm not one of the good list-makers but maybe you will get some comments on your list as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure! rejected so far from pitt, keck, georgetown, VT. No interviews and waitlists yet, but I'm anticipating all the rejections to hit at once bc it's pretty late now. All schools were submitted from early sept to early november. I didn't really network but some of my letters of recommendation are from notable faculty at schools I applied to. The non-clinical advice was from current med students.
I strongly suggest that you get off campus, out of your comfort zone, and engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

School list is good

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above. Get 200+ completed hours that are out of your comfort zone (projected does not count). For clarity’s sake, make your research most meaningful instead of the publication slot.

Do not include your volunteering abroad.

You had some good targets, but it would make sense to have different schools on list instead of Harvard and Michigan.

I suggest:

UVA
Case
Hofstra
Emory
Rochester
Tufts
Einstein
UMD (only if this is your state school)
Pitt
Georgetown
Sidney Kimmel
VCU
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
Wake
Creighton
USF
Temple
SLU
Miami
Dartmouth
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
Colorado
Iowa
Hackensack

When figuring your chances, use the average (mean) of your 2 MCAT scores as your higher score will be discounted a bit given that you took the exam twice.

Get more service to those in need, particularly those who are different than yourself by age and socioeconomic status.

Next time, get the AMCAS application in by June 1st and the secondary applications in by August 1st.

Always best to temper your expectations. If you haven't had at least one interview invite by now, or the one you had resulted in an R, then it is time to start thinking about next cycle.