WAMC: Reap, Non-trad, ORM, some advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRNPKC

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    • sGPA 3.91
    • cGPA 3.83
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • Second: 517 (126,131,128,132)
    • First: 508 (124, 131, 125, 128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • California
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    • ORM - White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    • BA Rhetoric from UC Berkeley
    • BS Nursing from Cal State LA
    • Post-Bacc Certificate from UCLA Extension
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 7 years in healthcare (2 as a CNA, 5 as an RN in ER) >10,000 hours non-volunteer clinical
    • Volunteer: 400 hours working with unhoused communities providing medical screenings, vaccines, primary care referrals, wound care
      • Committee leader for non-profit org
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • None : /
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • None explicitly, but I have LORs from MDs ive worked closely with in the ER
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Didn't include this on my OG app, but in high school I volunteered with Planned Parenthood and went with them as a lobbyist to fight restrictive abortion legislation (this would have been in like 2007). it was around 100 hours, thought it might be too old to include. thoughts?
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • 10 years working in HR/Accounting
    • 2 years as a paralegal
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • I graduated with honors from college, summa cum laude from BS in nursing
  12. School list: from previous cycle -
    UCLA, UCSF, UC Davis, UCSD, UCI, USC, SUNY Downstate, Ichan SOM, GW, BU, Chicago Med school, Northwestern, Rush, U of Illinois, Temple, OHSU, Emory, U of Michigan, Kaiser, Michigan State, U of Vermont, Wayne State (WL), UCR (WL), Drexel (pending)

Wondering if there might be some insight into how to improve my app this cycle. I'm going to apply DO this time as well, didn't last cycle because my end goal is trauma surgery and I was afraid DO would hurt my chances of matching. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Specifically, do you think that being RN is hindering my chances of med school (ex: adcoms thinking you need to stay in your lane, or not wanted to take a nurse out of the workforce)?
No, I do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools if you reapply:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UCR
UC Davis
UC Irvine
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
PCOM
CUSOM
Touro-NY

• Love
The lack of non-clinical volunteering stands out, and not in a good way. I think your clinical volunteering with unhoused communities somewhat mitigates this, but it could still be a factor.

I have also noticed that nurses sometimes have difficulty articulating why they want to shift over and become physicians. Make sure your PS 2.0 is seen by a lot of eyeballs.

The school list from @Faha is spot on. It may still be helpful to purchase access the MSAR, if you don't already have it.

Reactions: 1 users