WAMC Reapplicant 3.86 sGPA/508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElementS

Reaction score
Hello all!

I applied to 21 schools this cycle, sending in my primary immediately and secondaries back from July-August. I think my PS was compelling but I plan to rewrite it using new meaningful scribing, shadowing, research, and volunteering anecdotes. I also plan to apply to DO schools this upcoming cycle now that I know more about osteopathic medicine. However, I have found it difficult to obtain shadowing and potential letters of recommendation while working ~50 hours a week. I was hoping for some advice regarding DO applications, a school list for next cycle, and a review of my app to get some advice on what else needs to be addressed. All hours are estimates of completed hours at time of reapplication and * indicates new hours/experiences. Thank you!

1. cGPA: 3.87 and sGPA: 3.86
  2. MCAT scores: 501 (2020), 508 (127/125/127/129) (2021)
  3. State of residence: MN
  4. White
  5. Undergraduate institution: UCLA (first gen)
  6. Clinical experience:
    • 400 hrs eye clinic covid screener/ clinic assistant
    • 50 + 950* hrs gastroenterology medical scribe (just started at time of first app)
    • 100* hrs free/underserved clinic volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • 700 + 400* hrs volunteering + 300* hrs paid pathology & laboratory medicine non clinical research + 2 first author published reviews* + first author abstract* + conference poster presentation* + poster award*
    • 10 + 190* hrs summer clinical research internship + first author abstract* + conference presentation* (just started at time of first app)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 10 hrs Ophthalmology
    • 10* hrs Cardiologists/Cardiothoracic Surgeons/Anesthesiologists
    • 60 + 50* hrs HEAL virtual shadowing - MD/DO internists/PCPs/medical students
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • 50 hrs undergrad Rotaract (beach cleanup, tutoring, thank you's to local healthcare workers, etc.)
    • 130 hrs volunteer with local Rotary club during summers at home (face shield making, organized a Pride month 5k, assembled living/hygiene kits for homeless youth, mountain bike festival safety, youth summer camp classroom assistant, etc.)
    • 50* hrs LA Community rotaract (various volunteer opportunities)
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    • 40 hrs Premed mentoring club
    • 300 hrs Fraternity board member (philanthropy committee, recruited pre-med members, captain of intramural teams)
    • 700 hrs work study assistant (maintain research plants and train new employees at campus greenhouse to pay for rent and school expenses)
    • 100 hrs* healthy lifestyle app development
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • Dean’s list, fraternity scholarships, poster award
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
  • I finished my secondaries within 2 weeks and had them reviewed, however some may have been a bit rushed due to other time constraints. I know to spend more time prewriting this cycle.
  • Obviously I wish my MCAT score were higher but is it worth retaking? Should I focus on retaking before the upcoming cycle or just strengthen other parts of my application?
  • My letters of recommendation from my science professors may not have been great. I graduated in 12/2021 and had not had in person class since 03/2020. I found it extremely difficult to make meaningful relationships with professors over Zoom with large classes. I would appreciate any advice about obtaining better letters or ensuring my letters from current professors are sufficient. My second science professor finished her letter in August due to extenuating circumstances and I had to explain this to schools requiring 2 science letters.
    • Recommendation letters:
      1. Research PI - volunteered with and work for as research assistant
      2. Work Study Supervisor
      3. Public Health Professor
      4. Biology and Genetics professor - did well in his classes (didn’t know him super well)
      5. Biology and Marine Science professor - didn’t use letter
      6. Assistant Researcher/Professor - work with in the lab
      7. Doctor I scribe for*

• Schools I applied to this cycle (currently have received 1 II, 3 holds, 6 rejections): Albany, TCU, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel (H), Eastern Virginia, Temple, Loyola, Medical College of Wisconsin, New York Medical College (H), Nova Southeastern, Oakland, Vermont, Rush (R), Tulane (H), Colorado, Minnesota (R), North Dakota (II, R), Wisconsin (R), Virginia Tech, Wake Forest (R), Wright State
  • I could become a CA resident if this increases my chances significantly, but I would like to attend medical school closer to home.

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Becoming a California resident will not increase your chances for interviews.I suggest these schools:
Minnesota
North Dakota
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Creighton
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
CUSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM

Becoming a California resident will not increase your chances for interviews.I suggest these schools:
Minnesota
North Dakota
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Creighton
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
CUSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
Thanks! What are your thoughts about RVUCOM, Noorda-COM, MCOM, and TuoroCOM-Montana?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking the MCAT is not out of the question, but you need to push for a higher score. You did well from 500 to 507 so your goal should be to break 515 if you were going to try again. Some schools will average all MCAT attempts when screening your application. You could apply to the newer DO schools if you are comfortable being a "guinea pig" in a new curriculum.

Your additional experiences should help you this time. If you didn't have the challenges of getting your letters sent to schools this year like you had previously, you might be in a better spot. Are you back in Minnesota?

Retaking the MCAT is not out of the question, but you need to push for a higher score. You did well from 500 to 507 so your goal should be to break 515 if you were going to try again. Some schools will average all MCAT attempts when screening your application. You could apply to the newer DO schools if you are comfortable being a "guinea pig" in a new curriculum.

Your additional experiences should help you this time. If you didn't have the challenges of getting your letters sent to schools this year like you had previously, you might be in a better spot. Are you back in Minnesota?
Right. I am currently working more than full time so I do not know how feasible it would be to study for the required hours to increase my score to a 515. What would be the latest date you would recommend to retake if I am reapplying next cycle?

That is good to hear. I am in California and have been since graduation.

If you are trying to reapply, take both PREview and MCAT before June at the latest... but only when you are absolutely ready. Taking a third time can lock the perception of your application further if you are unable to score above the normal retake range of +/- 3 points. Depending on the schools, you may have to take Casper.

Your strategy must include DO schools if you intend not to being a 3-time reapp.