WAMC/School List 3.3 GPA, 518 MCAT, URM, 3.9 post-bacc GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1146050

Hi!

I just wanted to post on here to get some input on creating a school list. My GPA and MCAT are pretty unbalanced so it has been a little difficult to gauge.

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.0

Post-bacc: I am completing a post-bacc at the same university (ivy-if it matters)I did my undergrad at. So far my GPA for the post-bacc alone is I believe a 3.8 and should be up to a 3.9 by the time I finish (I am assuming I will continue to do well)

MCAT: 518 (129/129/130/130)

State of residence: PA

Ethnicity: URM female; I am Puerto Rican, born and raised there.

Undergrad: Ivy

Clinical Experience: How specific should I be here? I will be relatively vague but if more detail is needed please let me know.

- ~40hrs at post anesthesia care unit
- ~40hrs from my research assistant job in undergrad for when patients came in for visits
- ~44hrs distributing covid vaccine in underserved area
- ~108hrs in emergency department enrolling patients in research studies
- I am currently a clinical research coordinator at a hospital so most of my job is administrative but I do see patients sometimes. I'd estimate I see patients for a total of ~8 hrs every 2 weeks (that's just the way my PI's clinic schedule works out) and Ive been doing this job for a year, and will have another year by the time I apply.

Research Experience:

- I worked part-time as a research assistant throughout most of my undergrad. I worked at one lab from my freshman summer to my sophomore fall, and then at another lab from my junior summer to my senior spring (and then a little the summer after I graduated). No papers from these. Just typical data entry, helping out with random things, occasional patient visit.
- Currently work as research coordinator. 1 yr so far + another year by the time I apply. No papers either.
- I began working with an orthopedic surgeon (volunteer-not paid; I just do this during my free time) to help her with her research. We are finishing up a paper where I should be getting a middle authorship. Very exciting but timeline is unclear. Hopefully I have it by the time I apply but who knows.

Shadowing:

- 6hrs CT surgery
- 8hrs Ortho Surgery
- Scheduled out for ~15 hrs of shadowing this month (CT surg and ortho surg- not the same doctors as above, just a coincidence) and will continue to schedule to get those hours up.
- Since my PI is a cardiologist I do see pretty much exactly what his days look like but I suppose this isn't formal shadowing? But the idea is I do have a good idea of what his work looks like, which is the point of shadowing.

Non-Clinical Volunteering:

- Slacking on this one tbh. I just signed up to be an online tutor for kids in need which I am very excited about. I am anticipating anywhere from 2-4hrs weekly and will do this for 2 years if I am enjoying it.

Other:

- I powerlift competitively; I have competed 3 times and I qualified for nationals last year but didn't go because MCAT, but planning on competing nationally next year. This isn't related to medicine obviously but it is a big hobby for me.

That's about it I think. I would really appreciate some help crafting a school list :) I would like to stay in the NE area, with the exception of maybe California schools. That being said, I know I can't necessarily afford to be picky with my GPA, so I'm not ruling anything out entirely. Additionally, if there are any areas of my app that you think I could work on in the next couple of months before I apply, do let me know. Open to suggestions. Just be nice please. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need more clinical volunteering besides that connected to research and distributing COVID vaccines. 200+ hours with patient contact. Also 50 hours of physician shadowing. I suggest these schools if you accumulate those hours before June 2023.
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth Geisinger
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont

You need more clinical volunteering besides that connected to research and distributing COVID vaccines. 200+ hours with patient contact. Also 50 hours of physician shadowing. I suggest these schools if you accumulate those hours before June 2023.
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth Geisinger
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wonderful! Thanks so much. @Goro Any schools you'd add or take away?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get some Primary Care shadowing too.
You really need nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community. Tutoring is considered teaching( separate category) so you need to find direct , face to face contact with people unlike yourself. Think about homeless shelters, soup kitchens , coaching a team of underprivileged kids in team sport, working at a senior center or a veterans center , etc. etc.. Anything that will get you out of your comfort zone.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.