WAMC/School list: 3 time reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albegade

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

I would appreciate feedback about my chances/school list. I listed further comments below.
  1. sGPA 3.85 (possibly slightly higher based on how final classes which were not previously counted are counted)
    cGPA 3.9
  2. 521 (129, 132, 129, 131) [2023]
    previous MCAT in 2019 likely irrelevant but maybe useful information: 522 (130, 131, 129, 132)
  3. IL resident, in past CA
  4. South Asian
  5. UChicago, graduated 2020. Honors BS Neuroscience, minor Comparative Race & Ethnic Studies
  6. Clinical experience - 2900 hrs (1.5 yrs full time) as an ophthalmology scribe, 2900 hrs (1.5 yrs full time) as an ophthalmic assistant (and continuing); no clinical volunteering
  7. Research experience - worked in a neurobiology lab as undergraduate including some summers for ~3.5 yrs, did undergraduate thesis in this lab; worked in clinical social science research for 1 summer; for last 3 yrs working on ophthalmology research projects in volunteer capacity. Middle coauthor on 4 publications (1 from neurobiology lab, 1 from social science lab, 2 from ophthalmology lab). 1 poster presentation I presented, 1 poster I designed for an electronic poster session, 2 posters I contributed to but did not present personally. Total hours ~2500
  8. Shadowing: family medicine ~60 hrs, ophthalmology surgery ~70 hrs
  9. Nonclinical volunteering: volunteer tutoring/mentorship for economically underprivileged students. 125 hrs as undergrad across 2.5 yrs, in-person. 25 hrs recently since Jan 2023, different but similar organization, remote tutoring but still local students. Major weakness of application, will comment further below
  10. Other ECs: writer/editor as undergraduate for premed student magazine. Longtime percussionist, ~15-16 yrs, in last many years mostly just personal practice however.
  11. Awards: BS with honors

Comments: This is now my 3rd reapplication. I submitted my primary a bit more than a wk ago but have not finalized my school list as it’s still verifying. I previously applied in 2019 (when I was going into my 4th undergraduate year), to an extremely top-heavy and poorly considered list of ~18 schools. I got 5 interviews, 2 earliest I’d say I more or less bombed, 2 semi-late I was mediocre/ok, last one was very late & thought I did well.

I panic reapplied in 2020 with a very similar application bc COVID made me panic and I wasn’t sure what would happen and if I would be able to really improve my application at all in the coming years bc of it. The second time I applied to 38 schools, maybe ⅓ or ¼ reapplications, and got 3 interviews, 1 early and 2 late, which I overall felt went well/ok, got 2 waitlists.

I really wish I hadn’t applied in 2020, but pressure/poor planning combined with COVID broke my previous sureness not to reapply so soon. In retrospect I had outs – already by ~June you could tell things were changing with COVID, though by that point I was probably already out a lot of money. Overall though, I wish there was someone at the time who could tell me confidently “you should not apply now”, since most advice from people I knew was ambiguous.
In my first 2 applications I was sure my lack of shadowing/clinical experience was the critical flaw, which is why I spent the last 3 yrs in clinical roles. During that time I was not 100% sure if I would ever reapply for a third time.

Now however I feel I have still failed to properly round out my application, especially with regards to volunteering. I wonder if my application is basically dead in the water again and I’m blowing an otherwise decent opportunity. I had thought that retaking the MCAT would be an ordeal but it was overall the least bad part of the whole experience (like the first time, even though I have been out of school for a while). Knowing that, I wonder if I am still making the wrong choice and applying too early. A few different people I know, mainly physicians I have worked with, have told me that there is no perfect application and there will be weaknesses, and that being a student earlier is meaningful (not necessarily for career but for life), and other things. I just wonder if I would trip too many red flags and be out a lot of time, money, and effort again for a poorly considered decision.

In addition to that, I was hoping for feedback on my school list which I haven’t finalized. Also, should I/which DO schools should I apply to? Only one I have thought of so far is the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University

UChicago (applied twice prior, interviewed 2019-2020, bombed, 2 letters from current faculty and one from past faculty)
Rush (applied once prior)
Rosalind Franklin (applied once prior)
Northwestern (applied twice prior, 2 letters from physicians associated with the medical school)
UC Irvine (applied once prior, interviewed 2019-2020 late in cycle, felt it went well)
UC Davis (applied twice prior, interviewed 2020-2021 late in cycle)
Saint Louis U (applied once prior, interviewed 2020-2021 late in cycle)
WashU St Louis (applied once prior, interviewed 2020-2021 early)
George Washington U (applied once prior)
U of Iowa (applied once prior)
Tufts (applied once prior)
Georgetown (applied once prior, interviewed 2019-2020 late in cycle)
UMich (applied once prior)
Renaissance (applied once prior)
Case Western (applied once prior)
Medical College of Wisconsin (applied once prior)
U Wisconsin (applied once prior)
Albert Einstein (applied once prior)
Ohio State (applied once prior)
U of Illinois
Southern Illinois University
Virginia Commonwealth U
Wayne State
Western Michigan U Stryker
Rochester
Hofstra
Drexel
University of Vermont
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
UMass
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Geisinger Commonwealth
U of Cincinnati
Tulane
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

You have several schools on your list that value service very highly, and would be unlikely to accept you without significant service to the disadvantaged.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several schools on your list that have or will "yield protect" with your stats. Also, California school such as UC Davis and UC Irvine admit very few non residents. I suggest these schools from your list:
UChicago (applied twice prior, interviewed 2019-2020, bombed, 2 letters from current faculty and one from past faculty)
Rosalind Franklin (applied once prior)
Northwestern (applied twice prior, 2 letters from physicians associated with the medical school)
Saint Louis U (applied once prior, interviewed 2020-2021 late in cycle)
WashU St Louis (applied once prior, interviewed 2020-2021 early)
George Washington U (applied once prior)
U of Iowa (applied once prior)
Tufts (applied once prior)
Georgetown (applied once prior, interviewed 2019-2020 late in cycle)
UMich (applied once prior)
Case Western (applied once prior)
U Wisconsin (applied once prior)
Albert Einstein (applied once prior)
Ohio State (applied once prior)
U of Illinois
Southern Illinois University
Virginia Commonwealth U
Western Michigan U Stryker
Rochester
Hofstra
University of Vermont
UMass
New York Medical College
U of Cincinnati
Tulane
You could add these schools:
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
U Virginia
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
Yale
Dartmouth
Boston University
Brown
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 users
You have several schools on your list that have or will "yield protect" with your stats. Also, California school such as UC Davis and UC Irvine admit very few non residents. I suggest these schools from your list:
You could add these schools:
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
U Virginia
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
Yale
Dartmouth
Boston University
Brown
Kaiser
I wasn't sure if yield protection was real or not but now I am realizing it is a reasonable/practical thing so I should be more concerned.

Regarding these additional schools, I'm not sure if it matters but I have applied to Duke, U Virginia, Pittsburgh, Mt Sinai, Yale, Dartmouth, and BU once before and Brown/Kaiser twice before. I guess reapplying to schools is just kind of unavoidable.

Hey OP, six med schools invited you to the dance but no second date? Is it something you said? I'd work on interview skills.

Btw, congrats on putting together very solid stats and ECs and best of luck this cycle!

Last edited:
to an extremely top-heavy and poorly considered list of ~18 schools. I got 5 interviews, 2 earliest I’d say I more or less bombed, 2 semi-late I was mediocre/ok, last one was very late & thought I did well.
The second time I applied to 38 schools, maybe ⅓ or ¼ reapplications, and got 3 interviews, 1 early and 2 late, which I overall felt went well/ok, got 2 waitlists
however I feel I have still failed to properly round out my application, especially with regards to volunteering. I wonder if my application is basically dead in the water again and I’m blowing an otherwise decent opportunity.
Fortunately, your required MCAT retake didn't hurt you.

Being a 3x reapplicant, you need to have all your ducks in a row, so the feedback so far that your volunteering is still lacking shows me you have a real red flag now. You have had three years not to have tutoring/teaching be your only community service. You have had three years to get advice to do service orientation-focused activities like food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services (non-clinical), or housing rehabilitation; there's still nothing listed.

You are a strong candidate for a research-based career, especially in specialties like ophthalmology. Yet you only have 60 hours of primary care in comparison after three years out of school (which puts you in a perception you aren't a match for DO programs given your high stats and your clinical/research focus). Even if I chalk up a year or two on COVID in accessibility, other applicants found the hours that you don't, regardless of the public health emergency.

Where have you stepped out of your comfort zone in the past three years?
A few different people I know, mainly physicians I have worked with, have told me that there is no perfect application and there will be weaknesses, and that being a student earlier is meaningful (not necessarily for career but for life
Yes, nobody is perfect, but you also have an interviewing record at a few schools already. I don't know if they like to interview candidates a third time or not, but once you are a reapplicant, they want to know how you improved to allay whatever concerns were raised with your first application. Perfection is not what most interviewers want to see; they want to see you are accomplished yet humble enough to take advance/be teachable and show improvement.

Reactions: 1 users
Work on interview skills. Get in more service to others less fortunate than yourself. Get out of your comfort zone, and stop tutoring.

As this is going to be your third application cycle, have some do schools on your list as insurance.
Which DO schools would you recommend for the OP?

The feedback here has been very useful, so I'll have to do some significant thinking regarding correct steps to take/changes to make.

Reactions: 1 user